P. S. on Rainier Geezer Climb...

nssasser

We done did it! The Summit of Rainier! July 20. Perfectly glorious weather! Grueling 8 1/2 hour climb, but glorious! Thank you each who encouraged us geezers away back in January to go for it. The suggestions then and supplemental suggestions via the up & down trek were part of the success. As well as our two guides generously endowed with Patience (like when my helmet leaped off my pack down the 200' dirt slope approach to Glacier Basin and the guide scrambled down and up the slope with nary a %#*!! look). We understand a pull to addiction having tasted the intoxication of scenery, sounds and high altitude.

I would post a graemlin, but none is grinning broadly enough!

If anyone in the "older age group" needs encouragement we are very willing to do what we might to provide it! YOU too can do this!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We have backpacked in the Wallowas, Cascades, and Crazies in the past."

Hey geezer,

Was that the Crazy Mountains in Montana? Man I love that place! Nice job on Rainier, I aspire to be like you in about 40 years. [big Grin]

[ 07-25-2002, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

Training began mid-December; but seriously in January. The 63'er played competitive noon basketball with 18 years and older 4-5 days a week at the local University. And managed bi-weekly treks up our local mountain (from about 3200 to 4000 feet)for 1-2 hours. The 58'er hiked up and down the mountains 5-6 times a week beginning with 1 hour then 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. A few times with a 25 pound pack--during January when we had a good meter of snowbase on snowshoes. After January it was snowshoes without the pack up & down mountain slopes. After the snow finally left, three 5 miler hikes and once a 10 miler--on the country road into our town, no snowshoes of course! Also the 58er did nearly daily pushups from the knees and also abs exercises.

From May on trekking poles were used regularly which strengthed the biceps & prepared for The Final Mountain!

An aside reward is a cranky back free of pain!

If you have any other questions, holler!

We are still smiling! (no doubt brought on by the high altitude!)