[TR] Mt. Hood - Leuthold's 2/18/2010

prussik1

Trip: Mt. Hood - Leuthold's

Date: 2/18/2010

Trip Report:

Went over Illumination Saddle yesterday to attempt Leuthold's. Thermal inversion is now in effect, so upper mountain warmer than lower mountain. Wind died at around 6:00 a.m. Post holing to calves, plenty of snow at high elevations. Dug test profilesd before climbing, CT 11 and 12, Q 2 (although very close to a 1) at 25cm. Decided that the consequences were not what I wanted, so went back over to south side route. The traverse was challenging until over on south side route, saw nice boot pack. Super warm on Hogsback, about 55 F.

Gear Notes:

shovel, saw, AT setup, 2 pickets, 4 screws, rope, axe, extra tool, beacon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super nice up there today!! Strolled up in 5 hours, sat around up top for a bit, and then came down.

Super fast conditions up through the ski resort it would be reasonable to go 1.5 hours from the parking lot to the top of Palmer. It was good cruising through the old chute, and a fair amount of people seemed to be taking the left variation of the pearly gates.

I went up to the Hogback thursday morning -- the wind died above the lift house and it was hot as hell after that. then i descended to the illumination gap -- saw bootpack going in all directions across the Reid.

Yesterday I went back up in the afternoon, making for I-Rock and descending at dusk. The wind was brutal all the way up and all the way back. my bootprints were filled and covered in a minute or two.

Pretty days though. I'll post some pics later.

LCK Thai food got the best of you as well??

yeah, strange... usually my iron gut takes it all and doesn't complain. not this time!

Thanks for the TR!

HEY LASH, WHAT THE F&@K IS UP? THAT THAI FOOD REALLY TORE ME UP SOMETHING FIERCE LATER ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON! :laf:

I found out that it is under new ownership-hehaw

hehaw!!