First Trad lead

tivoli_mike

Well, it was scary as hell, and I am glad that my pieces stayed in long enough for my second to clean them! [smile] . I should also mention that Mt. Erie is definitely underrated for its locale. Nothing like having a commanding view of the San Juans, Rainier, Baker, the Olympics, and tons of eagles to boot!

Ciao

Leaning Crack (5.6ish) Powerline Wall , Mt. Erie.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first on-sight lead was on a spit of rock between the North and South Gateway rocks in the Garden of the Gods, a city park in Colorado Springs. A local climber-god named Kevin happened by just as I was ready to start up and said to me, "Just turn your mind off and let all of the power in you flow through you into the rock." Those words kept me alive on that lead...and for the next 26 years. Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

My first on-sight lead was on a spit of rock between the North and South Gateway rocks in the Garden of the Gods, a city park in Colorado Springs. Dennis

South Ridge of White Spire?

Were you in town when Steve Hong, Steve Cheney, Pete Gallagher, Jimmy Dunn, etc were putting up stuff?

Yes... basically from '76 thru '86. Bob Robertson was my mentor, and Steve "Muff" Cheyne and Dennis Jackson (the first guy to take me climbing) re-soled our EB's and PA's. Pete Gallager as well as Earl Wiggins climbed with us often. Never met Steve Hong cause he was out of Denver. Climbed a lot with Glen Shultdz (SP) if that rings a bell. The "Springs" climbers were a tight sub-culture back then and pioneered much of the early routes in the Black Canyon and the Canyonlands. Bob R. and his daughter Carrie and Trout and a pretty girl came up and we climbed Rainier a couple years ago. Gotta love Colorado. Good hearing from an ex-patriate. Dennis