Mt Hood Climbers Guide

billbob

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

The delays have been frustrating for many and I apologize for that to all parties. That said, Fred Knapp at Sharp End Books is fully engaged and we are working hard on the final edit and photo placement. Fred says the book will be out sometime in the spring.

We are finding that many of our existing climbing pics are too small for printing. If anyone has good digital pics (4 meg or larger) on Mt Hood please email them to bmullee@gmail.com. All photographers are credited, climbers are named if known. Mostly needed are climbing pics on the Coe gl., Eliot HW, Sandy HW. If you have great pics on other routes send also. Please? Like now?!

Thanks to all the outstanding folks who have submitted written and photo pieces.

Bill

Missed this update- Thanks for the status check Bill! I will go through pictures on my machine at home but don't think I have any that are exactly what you're looking for.. but maybe.

Appreciate your continued efforts through thick and thin to see this thing through. Really, really, looking forward to seeing it!

• 4 months later...

The publisher is formatting pages whilst I still hope to find someone with recent climbing pics on the Eliot HW route. Absent that hero (Doug Beardsley where are you?) the book will not include that route and we will go to press when the publisher is ready.

The publisher is formatting pages whilst I still hope to find someone with recent climbing pics on the Eliot HW route. Absent that hero (Doug Beardsley where are you?) the book will not include that route and we will go to press when the publisher is ready.

That's why Neptune doesn't have it yet.... :rocken:

• 3 weeks later...

At last count there are 56 individual contributors to the guide and another couple dozen who have helped in some form or fashion. I have met and interviewed over a hundred others who work on or around the mountain, from snow cat drivers to ski patrol guys to forest service folk. Three freaking years and about ten grand from my pocket. Thank you Tim Olson, Wayne Wallace, John Scurlock, Jim Wickwire, Fred Beckey, Rodney Sofich, Pete Keane, Zac Reisner, Eric Linthwaite, Laura Freeman, Chad Anderson, Sarah Bradham, Alan Reaume, Rocky Henderson, Scott Norton, Oleg Valarmov, Bill Amos, Steve Kruse, Kathleen Walker, Steve Rollins, Chris Winter, Anastasia Blagoveschenskaya, and of course thank you Cascade Climbers.

Profit from the sales will be distributed by the Mt Hood Climbers Guide LLC accordingly:

10% to a fund for SAR people killed or injured while training or on mission;

10% to the Tilly Jane Hut restoration so long as climbers are allowed use thereof;

30% to pay climbers to climb and report on routes of interest to the company that are related to the next Mt X Climbers Guide;

20% to pay existing contributors for their work thus far; and

30% to pay expenses and costs of the company.

If successful this will be the start of a business by and for the PNW climbing community. Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Bill Mullee

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate Bill's persistence with this. This will be an excellent guide and though there have been a lot of contributors, if it wasn't for his tenacity through a lot of crazy such-is-life circumstances, this would have never happened.

Thanks again, Bill, you're awesome!

:rawk::brew:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a phone conversation with Bill a couple days ago that the publisher is getting very close to the finish line.

To all the contributing authors who did not yet: PLEASE, send a photo of yourself showing your face and 2-3 sentences of bio to Bill Mullee by email at your earliest convenience. THANKS!