new to WA

centex

I am a central texas climber(mostly boulderer). I am in Port Angeles, WA for the summer doing research in Olympic National Park. I have not been on stone for 2 weeks now and I am going crazy. I want to climb sometime dammit! I have done a lot of central texas bouldering on limestone as well as lead climbing. I have also been to the wonderful Hueco Tanks many times. I have never done trad or any alpine shit. I would like to find some quality stone close to Port Angeles and hopefully some locals who would be willing to show me around.

Matt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude i have a g/f over there....if anyone knows anything over in that area....i would climb with ya....the only thing i can think anywhere near there is ex. 38....some of you vets let me know what else there is out there on the "other side".... [Eek!]

Well, obviously it's mostly "trad and alpine shit" out there, but if you want to lead some bolted climbs close to town, head west from town and turn left on the road that goes up the Elwah river. You'll see a small dam in the canyon a few miles up the river. Walk across the bridge and you'll find a dozen or so bolted routes on mostly overhanging, scary, loose, soft, crumbly sandstone. Stop by the outdoor shop down on the main drag in PA for more info on other mossy crags nearby.

Better yet, buy a surfboard and head out to Neah Bay, LaPush and remote points in between. The OP has better waves than it has rock... [big Grin]

Behold "The Wedge"-------->

d5.jpg

[ 06-02-2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

Man, that sucks that there are not any good bouldering spots. I would definately be willing to road trip somewhere, but dammit I do not have a car here. Back home I usually drive atleast an hour and a half to quality stone. Oh well I guess I will call these 3 months off my rest months. I might be interested in doing some alpine stuff. We do not have snow in Texas or much mountains for that matter. I am dayhiking/backpacking into Olympic National Park every day and staring up at those snow covered mountains.

Matt

"The Wedge" is 3rd beach near Neah Bay. Careful of the rock wall and be ready to be catapulted when you hit the wave convergance. Nice thin wall though. I would love to be inside the rip curl holding my position and jet out of the tunnel right as it closes in on me.

Centex notthat I ever did any climbing down there but you will find plenty of boulderable rock if you look for it. hint alpine = talus=big rocks for bouldering. or coast = headland = rocks for bouldering. i know there are sea cliffs you can traverse in the san juans... and gulf islands.. or victoria BC is a bouldering hotspot visit Fleming Beach, lotsa highballs...

worse comes to worse head to the west coast and boulder on some of those beach rocks just like the guys in the metolius catalog do.

For bolted sport climbing in the Port Angeles area go west from town on 101 to hwy 112 (about 5 mi.) Go about 1 mi. west on 112 and turn left on power plant rd. follow to end at dam. Climbs are across the dam and downstream a bit about 20 routes 5.8 to 5.12+ and bouldering traverses at the base. A popular after work scene for the Pt, Angeles rock climber all 5 or6 of us.

What about the cliffs around Cape Flattery? Last time I was in Neah Bay, a friend who lives there said she'd seen climbers toproping near the trail across from Tatoosh Island. It'd have to be a really, really low tide, and some cleaning would be needed, but it's a pretty cool setting.