[TR] slovenia - misja pec, crni kal, osp 2/14/2010

Trip: slovenia - misja pec, crni kal, osp

Date: 2/14/2010

Trip Report:

over the past week, my old friend (from undergrad) alexei and i drove between belgrade, serbia, and istria, slovenia.

we climbed a bit :)

the coast is full of huge limestone crags with hundreds of routes (about 250 at misja pec alone), with only a few below .10, and most in mid-.12 to mid-.14.

the weather began a big chilly, but we hung out, explored the adriatic coast, slept in the car for a week and dirtbagged our way around.

IMG_2669.JPG

osp3.JPG

when we arrived in osp there was only one other group of brits, who declared the 5 degree C weather warm, and raced up their .13s. alexei and i both forgot our chalk bags, and didn't have a guide, so steve the brit kindly loaned us his! we decided to meet again in a couple of days to return the gear.

IMG_2486.JPGIMG_2555.JPGIMG_23683.JPG

the first day we only climbed a few routes, each leading a handful of 15-20 m pitches full of smeary feet, sweaty cracks, and chossy holds. it was cold. COLD. i got to feeling quite bad for myself on our warm-up route, like "why am i having such a hard time pulling down a .9?" until we realized later that we jumped on a .10b. crazy french ratings.

IMG_2502.JPGIMG_2508.JPGIMG_2374.JPG

the following day the weather turned even more horrid, we tried to find better conditions in trieste, italy, but it was snowing/raining sideways there, so we went back to slovenia (this place sucks you in!). we returned to osp on thursday and had a great time, met with the brits who were set on onsighting - steve did a .14c in front of us, and dan - .13d. this girl, catherine, ran up a route that alexei decided to follow. he had a hard time on the crux, but that's alright because it turned out to be a .12c. not a bad day!

IMG_2565.JPGIMG_2622.JPG

oh, it was cold again. and snowing. it's a good thing that the crag is mad overhung.

oh, one of the brits was a nice man named rab. here he is, belaying alexei. guess what he used to do for a living? :)ok, http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=1685

IMG_2611.JPG

oh shit - steve the brit? yeah - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McClure

didn't even realize it until a few days after we last saw them!

it's been good climb'n. in-between actual cragging, we kept ourselves in shape by sampling what historical monuments had to offer... in belgrade, serbia

IMG_22771.JPG

...in rijeka, croatia

IMG_2317.JPGIMG_2311.JPG

...and in piran, slovenia

IMG_2654.JPG

saturday and sunday were AWESOME. it certainly reflected in the amount of traffic this place got. with only an hour drive from ljubljana, it's hard to stay away. i was climbing in long-sleeved tshirt, and felt quite warm when the wall got hit by the sun. in crni kal, alexei and i both lead 4 routes, up to about .10c. not too hard, but we got our fingertips torn up pretty well on this stuff. fantastic day.

IMG_27571.JPG

hard to to show the size, but the route was almost 75 feet long, and the crack is almost 2x wider than my body

IMG_27221.JPGIMG_27232.JPG

sharp, pockety limestone

IMG_27271.JPG

alexei and i, happy after an awesome day

IMG_2736.JPGIMG_27421.JPG

this stuff just eats your hands:

IMG_2754.JPG

Gear Notes:

everything you need for bolt clipp'n. the routes are bolted generously, routes are 17-25 m long.

Approach Notes:

5 min up windy streets of osp, slovenia

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you.

it takes about 3 hours to drive across the country, and it's quite amazing that in the span of about an hour one's able to climb WI6+ up north, and then climb on the adriatic in a t-shirt (or sail. or ski at a resort situated at about 6000 feet. or just put on the blitz :)).

have i mentioned it's carnival week here, so people are wild in the streets at night?

Edited by spionin

Very cool, now I await a trip report with pics from carnival! ;)

i'll work on it :) last night we danced in the street. though february weather doesn't permit for too much, khm, nakedness, and the costumes overall make it look more like a furries convention than a general pre-lent debauchery.

i thought about walking out dressed as an "ice climber" today, but then thought better of it and decided that people might take my sharp tools seriously. maybe if i get my face painted with butterflies i could ameliorate the effect?..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...