Ruth Mountain in June

Itisallgood

I want to take my sweetie up into the hills to get her interested in climbing/off trail travel. Ruth looks like a good introduction but I have heard various contracictory things about ropin' up on Ruth. For people who have been there, is there any reason to lug a rope? Did you bring one and not use it? We are going in June.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bring a rope and if it looks like you need one, turn around. On the other hand, bring one and you may not need it. In that case, leave it down on the ridge and pick it up on the way down. My experience has been no, but I've seen people up there crawling on a 30 degree slope, scared out of their minds! Different levels of competence require different approaches to the question, "...is there any reason to lug a rope." There are a few big crevasses up there, especially during the late season. Having your sweetie using a rope would be good practice and a chance to show your stuff off...jason Hummel...

Perfect destination for beginner - not much hazard, not terribly strenuous, and wow - stupendous views in good weather.

The approach hike is a south facing slope the whole way so its hot - you've been warned. Plus, note the avalanche gullies - we're probably past the season for hazard there but don't tarry in crossing.

I say take the rope. Lots of people do this unroped and I cant criticize them for it, in fact you'll see people tele-skiing and boarding it when you go. Its a small glacier and not terribly active. However, last autumn I was there and was impressed by the cracks - more and bigger than I remembered in the past.

If you go on a weekend warn her that there will be other people in there, 'cause there will be.

One last tip - dont miss dinner at Milano's in Glacier on the drive out - no matter what else happens she'll enjoy that portion of the outing.

-Dox

They do not clear the road to Hannegan campground. Ever....Also, the road sits in a deep valley near the T.H., at 3100', so it may have some snow near the end still....One more thing, Milano's is my last choice in the area. The North Fork Beer Shrine in Kendall kicks ass. Fresh, handmade beer and good eats. Not all that cheese. And Graham's is back open in Glacier right across the street from Milano's...Peace.T.

Take yer Chicago buddy - great place.

Hmmm, forgot about road access. I've been to that trailhead as early as April. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts its open already. But yeah, call Sedro Wooley R.S. first - 360.856.5700 or Glacier R.S. - 360.599.2714.

I just called cause I was curious. Sedro Wooley said that the last road report said tree blocks road 2 miles from trailhead. I bet they clear it out soon though.

My take is to take a rope when going with a newbie whose skills are not known. I had a bad experience with a newbie where we didn't use enough caution to rope up on what we thought was moderate terrain. The newbie fell, injured a leg, and required rescue.

Ruth is steep enough that a newbie could take a slide (generally good runout, however). Depending upon the aspect, the newbie could slide a long way.

If you slog a rope, might as well slog skis along too. Much safer, funner, and faster.

story:

Several years ago, I climbed the S. Brother with a friend and his girlfriend, a newbie. He taught her to ice-axe arrest the day before, on a snow patch on the way up to camp.

At the top, there was some steep snow, just corning up in the mid-day sun. I arrogantly displayed the shoe-ski glissade technique after a few demonstration plunge steps. My friend was a little more patient and stuck with her. But we were not roped. Nor did we know how freaked she was.

After a few unsteady plunge steps, she plunged herself down the 40deg slopes. She almost ice-axe arrested before hitting a rock in the middle of the slope. The rock flipped her over to face down the hill and she screamed down the hill in an uncontrolled glissade. Fortunately, after zooming over a small cliff just below me, a large rock outcropping broke her fall and an ankle. If she hadn't hit the rocks, she might have skipped down the 1000+ft of snow slopes below us and over bigger climbs and onto bigger rocks.

We could have easily avoided this accident had we roped up with her for the descent, having recognized her limited abilities and limited confidence with descending snow (She was quite comfortable going up but not in the least going down). Instead, we cheated death and had a needless epic and rescue.

thoughts to consider,

Bill f