Doctor recommendation for finger injury

I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom on the forum here for a recommendation. Thanks in advance!

I started bouldering a lot more this past Fall and was feeling pretty good about my climbing. I didn’t have any “event” where I injured anything but right before the holidays noticed two of my fingers on my left hand got a bit sore even after just a few problems. I gave gym climbing a rest for a few months, but I still get pain in these fingers when I climb. It’s never sharp pain and really isn’t bad, but unpleasant enough that I figure something is wrong.

I’d like to find someone to take a look. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Andrew

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dr Huang at the udub hand center is really good. He has experience dealing with climbers, and seemed to really understand what climbing does to the body and respect my concerns about my ability to climb in the future. I saw him for an A4 pulley rupture. The whole clinic was great as well, very friendly and efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

Seattle Hand Surgery Group as mentioned above is the preminent group of Orthopedic Hand surgeons in Seattle. Any one there would likely go a great job, they're all Fellowship Trained with the highest training and degree of skill.

Thomas Trumble at the U of W is extraordinary no question, but actually more of a Hand Traumatologist than a hand generalist.

Almost without exception, Carlton Keck, Jr at Seattle Hand is the choice for the Major League Sports Teams in this area. My long time friend (Seattle Mariners Team Physician, for 24 years now) would not send any of his Mariner's to another physician.

(I'm trying not to be a 'know-it-all here' but having worked with medical-legal issues for many years in this town I make it my business to know who the very best are. Likewise, the Professional Team Docs in Seattle know who is best for a number of apparent reasons.

The best of luck with your injury. You could PM me for more info if so desired.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of irony here....looks like I'll be needing some repair work on my left thumb. My doc recommended/referred me to Tom Trumble, who appears to be out on extended medical leave. It will take some time to get in to see anyone else at UW Hand Clinic (Jerry Huang comes highly recommended), so I went looking elsewhere.

Since Trumble is out and Huang has a bit of a wait, I'll be seeing Elizabeth Joneschild over at Seattle Hand Surgery Group. She has impressive credentials and a very good reputation. Wish me luck!