• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander_obsessed_with_c

Exposure on DC

I've never done any ice climbing but have lots of backpacking and long-distance hiking experience over rough terrain. I was thinking about climbing the DC route up Rainier next summer with RMI, but was wondering how much exposure there is on the route, because my son (who also has lots of experience and is in very good physical shape) has a fear of heights. We've done Whitney in California the Grand Canyon down to Phantom Ranch with no major problems...how much more exposure is there on the DC route of Rainier versus these hikes?

There isn't much exposure at all on the DC route, except for possibly a crevasse or two, and maybe a narrow walkway (with handline) near the base of the cleaver. Still, don't fall, especially in that rental Gore-Tex slip-n-slide suit.

RMI is expensive (insert anti-guide BS here), but I guess you know that [Roll Eyes]

For the inexperienced, the bottom of Disappointment Cleaver will seem very exposed. No vertical but very steep down to a vertical drop. It will probably scare him. But RMI will have you well secured.

Give it a try.