Exposure on DC

I've never done any ice climbing but have lots of backpacking and long-distance hiking experience over rough terrain. I was thinking about climbing the DC route up Rainier next summer with RMI, but was wondering how much exposure there is on the route, because my son (who also has lots of experience and is in very good physical shape) has a fear of heights. We've done Whitney in California the Grand Canyon down to Phantom Ranch with no major problems...how much more exposure is there on the DC route of Rainier versus these hikes?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't much exposure at all on the DC route, except for possibly a crevasse or two, and maybe a narrow walkway (with handline) near the base of the cleaver. Still, don't fall, especially in that rental Gore-Tex slip-n-slide suit.

RMI is expensive (insert anti-guide BS here), but I guess you know that [Roll Eyes]

For the inexperienced, the bottom of Disappointment Cleaver will seem very exposed. No vertical but very steep down to a vertical drop. It will probably scare him. But RMI will have you well secured.

Give it a try.