Ice Climbing in Washington State

gapertimmy

Hello everyone! Here is the scoop on your little online Holiday present:

quote:

Ice Climbing in Washington State

by: Jason D. Martin

To Whom it May Concern

Approximately a year ago I began to send out feelers to see what kind of ice climbing potential there was in this State. As I quizzed people throughout the state about their local climbing, I discovered that there is a major need. That need is a guidebook on Washington State Ice.

So late in the ice season last year, I began to compile a guidebook. The book is currently in it's mid-stages. I have approximately eighty routes in the guide. Though the book is nowhere near done, I see a major need for information right now. I have a draft that is partially notes and partially complete route information. This could help people find some of these climbs that are questionable.

I don't have the time to go out to every one of these places and check out the routes, the grades, or the beta that I have been provided. I would be willing to email this note oriented draft to anyone who would be willing to send me back info on what they find at these locations. Simply send an email to me (Jason) at
and I will send you the notes.

I hope to have all of the info compiled by the end of next season. So the complete guide will be available at your local climbing shop approximately two years from now. If you know of routes or areas that are not currently covered in the guide, let me know. As a result they will indeed be covered.

As a teacher, writer, and professional mountain guide I feel this to be a great way to connect our local climbing community. As many of you are prone to agree, it's about time for this book to be developed.

Yours Truly,

Jason D. Martin

I want to give a BIG thank you to Jason for making this guide available now, so that the whole climbing community can benefit from the beta in this guide, and participate in making it as acurate as possible.

But, enough of my jibber-jabber, here is the guide:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/iceinwashington.htm

-Tim

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stay away from all ice located on hwy roadcuts. they are illegal as they create a dangerous situation on the hwy, per the washington state patrol. as listed in the stevens pass area or any area. and the climbs on the upper denny mtn are inside the alpental avy control area and should only be climbed after talking to ski patrol.

ice in ellensburg- umptanum falls is on public property- though you do cross private land per right of way on the approach. the actual falls is only grade3, the flow across from it is grade4.

the ice on lower manastash canyon is on private property. please do not try to access it.