• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
vrj

climbing season

I live in California, & I want to come up sometime to the Cascades or the Olympics to climb. I am into non technical mountaineering upto exposed class 3 rock & maybe class 4. Snow/ice climbing are not my strong points either(though small sections of the route involving that is alright). So I guess the best word to describe is scrambling.

Given that, I would like to know what period of time in summer would be the best to do that

Now that I know August/September are good, I can start planning. Before that I will be in the good old Sierras down here.

What peaks am I climbing...good q, frankly I do not even know where to begin. Like everyone I would want to do only the most scenic & fun ones given the short time I will have.

Wondering if I should post again asking on that.

I primarily scramble upto class 4 with rock & a limited amount of ice.

Pick up a copy of "selected climbs in the cascades volume 1" by Jim Nelson, this will give you some good ideas.

quote:

Originally posted by vrj:

What peaks am I climbing...good q, frankly I do not even know where to begin. Like everyone I would want to do only the most scenic & fun ones given the short time I will have.

Wondering if I should post again asking on that.

I primarily scramble upto class 4 with rock & a limited amount of ice.

In no particular order:

•Mt Daniel via Peggy's Pond

•Mt Stuart by the south side

•Colchuck Peak and/or Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Col

•Shuksan via the Sulphide Glacier

•Ruth Mt via the Ruth Glacier

•Eldorado via the east ridge

•ad nauseum

Pick up the Beckey books (Cascade Alpine Guides). Then try to find a route up any local mountain [big Grin] It should acquaint you with PNW climbing experiences well [Wink]

I recommend climbing in the Tatoosh Range or a pleasant hike through the Enchantments.

Methow country. At least the guidebook makes it sound good! Lots of scrambling type peaks.

I agree with caveman. The tatoosh is awsome. There are something like 8 or 9 short climbs accsesable though Mt. Rainier. They have amazeing veiws of the mountain and are fun snow covered or not.

[ 05-23-2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: rock-ice ]

There are lots of climbs going up towards and in Snoqualmie Pass too.

Sahale Peak is soloable. No better view than that for such an easy slog. It is near Casade Pass.

[ 05-23-2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

October can be good too. Ditto on Del Campo, several other good options in that vicinity off the Mt. Loop Highway. And I'm about to head down to the good 'ol Sierras for a week, I've had about enough clouds, rain, and crappy snow for the time being. [hell no] We need a little emoticon thingy of a guy crying 'cause I realize I'm whining just a bit there. [big Grin]