climbing season

vrj

I live in California, & I want to come up sometime to the Cascades or the Olympics to climb. I am into non technical mountaineering upto exposed class 3 rock & maybe class 4. Snow/ice climbing are not my strong points either(though small sections of the route involving that is alright). So I guess the best word to describe is scrambling.

Given that, I would like to know what period of time in summer would be the best to do that

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I know August/September are good, I can start planning. Before that I will be in the good old Sierras down here.

What peaks am I climbing...good q, frankly I do not even know where to begin. Like everyone I would want to do only the most scenic & fun ones given the short time I will have.

Wondering if I should post again asking on that.

I primarily scramble upto class 4 with rock & a limited amount of ice.

quote:

Originally posted by vrj:

What peaks am I climbing...good q, frankly I do not even know where to begin. Like everyone I would want to do only the most scenic & fun ones given the short time I will have.

Wondering if I should post again asking on that.

I primarily scramble upto class 4 with rock & a limited amount of ice.

In no particular order:

•Mt Daniel via Peggy's Pond

•Mt Stuart by the south side

•Colchuck Peak and/or Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Col

•Shuksan via the Sulphide Glacier

•Ruth Mt via the Ruth Glacier

•Eldorado via the east ridge

•ad nauseum

I agree with caveman. The tatoosh is awsome. There are something like 8 or 9 short climbs accsesable though Mt. Rainier. They have amazeing veiws of the mountain and are fun snow covered or not.

[ 05-23-2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: rock-ice ]

October can be good too. Ditto on Del Campo, several other good options in that vicinity off the Mt. Loop Highway. And I'm about to head down to the good 'ol Sierras for a week, I've had about enough clouds, rain, and crappy snow for the time being. [hell no] We need a little emoticon thingy of a guy crying 'cause I realize I'm whining just a bit there. [big Grin]