Mt Hood Beta

brettinnj

I need to start a new string for this one. I'm looking for info on climbing the north side of Hood. I called the Mt Hood Info center. They sent me to the Zig Zag ranger station. They sent me to the Hood River ranger station. They tried sending me back to the Zig Zag station.

All I want to know is:

What is the approach for the North side?

What road is open and where can I park?

What permits do I need to park and enter the woods and where do I get the permits?

They don't seem like hard questions to me. Everyone I spoke with was very nice, just not very helpfull.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

BTW for anyone who has been following my posts... The ranger at Rainier told me I could fill out a solo request but not to hold my breath. They don't like giving them out this time of year.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

approach up the tilly jane trail - it's well marked for skiiers adn takes you up the tilly jane hut - it's cooler to camp up above t-line

you need a snow park permit to park at the cooper spur ski area (i never buy the damn thing and as an out of stater just throw away the tickets - not sure where you can go to get legal) - the cooper spur parking area is off route 35

no permits to actually climb the mountain

check out the # of tr's on this site for reports on the n side routes

That's funny. The only thing is I'll have a rental and they will have my credit card info for tickets.

Someone told me (from one of the ranger stations) I needed a wilderness permit? Is that to enter the woods or for parking? They were not sure but they thought I got it at a sporting good store.

On a different note: I was talking to someone at Whittaker Mountaineering about a Mt Baker guide book. I figure if I'll be out there for a week or so I'll climb as much as I can. I told them I can't get a solo permit for rainier but how it's not a problem for Hood. He told me that "Mt Hood is just a hill". I guess he's not a fan of your mountain.

wilderness permit same as if you enter any wilderness area--its a little self-fill out form they use for usage statistics. if you dont find one right in front of you don't bother spending a minute trying to figure out about getting one, imo. which leads into my next point...getting it at a sporting goods store? the wilderness permit? that mt hood national forest ranger district runnaround sounds about right. they are superficially friendly but utterly worthless for anything-they might as well outsource it to india. useless louses. apologies for any cool ppl who do work for hood nat. forest--ive just never talked to you on the phone or in the offices.

comparatively, hood is just a "hill" (compared to rainier). sounds like a great attitude though, sucks to be anyone who died on a little hill and not a mountain fo sho. [i think its a great mountain]

Edited by Water

hood is a sweeet mtn, and certianly baker is no better - baker is much more heavily glaciated for certain, but it mostly just looks like a giant pile of dogshit compared to the aesthetic cone of hood - wilderness permits are at the trailhead and there's no rnagers up there checking for them anyhow

Sounds good. Now let me get this straight. I park at the entrance to the Tilly Jane ski trail and take that to the base of Mt Hood (north side). Where is the Tilly Jane ski trail parking lot and how do I get there?

It's pretty easy. Here is a pretty straight forward description of how to get to the trail.

Also, if you want to remain legal, one or two day sno-park permits are sold at most of the convenience stores as well as some of the ski rental shops along the way up the mountain. But, Like Ivan said, I don't think the enforcement is a strict at the Tilly Jane trail head as it is at some of the other sno-parks.

Edited by Frikadeller

wilderness permit same as if you enter any wilderness area--its a little self-fill out form they use for usage statistics. if you dont find one right in front of you don't bother spending a minute trying to figure out about getting one, imo.

I don't think they even stock the forms in the boxes in the winter time. I have never seen them there unless it's the middle of summer.

You will want to legibly fill out a climbing permit found at the climber's register in the day lodge of Timberline, and then check out there after your climb as well. Permits are free. Mt. Hood has some fantastic, challenging routes, and at times, extremely nasty weather. Go prepared to be self sufficient for several days, and never underestimate any mountain. I would also highly encourage you to rent an MLU (Mountain Locator Unit) which only works on Mt. Hood, or bring your own PLB denoting that on your climber's registration form.

That's funny. The only thing is I'll have a rental and they will have my credit card info for tickets.

Someone told me (from one of the ranger stations) I needed a wilderness permit? Is that to enter the woods or for parking? They were not sure but they thought I got it at a sporting good store.

On a different note: I was talking to someone at Whittaker Mountaineering about a Mt Baker guide book. I figure if I'll be out there for a week or so I'll climb as much as I can. I told them I can't get a solo permit for rainier but how it's not a problem for Hood. He told me that "Mt Hood is just a hill". I guess he's not a fan of your mountain.

The little Hill has claimed many lives.

Since this thread is about Hood instead of starting a new thought I'd ask this here.

Anyone know what the Sheriff with a snowcat trailer was doing at the Tilly Jane Parking lot....TJ parking area was full on Thursday night so I went around to T-line...were the Crag Rats or PMR pulling drills or was there some kind of search happening?

Plus I didn't want to carry my skis...low snowpack sucks.

Hood River County Sheriff is a member of the Hood River Crag Rats, the north side search/rescue team. They were called on to help look for the guys before Xmas and the other HIGH profile case was with Jerry Cook's crew back in 2006, who were lost on the North side. I don't know if a local search has been going on, or just taking advantage of the clear weather and low snow pack to go for a looksee...bit of training, bit of looking around for lost souls, and a bit of team building. If the Tilly Jane Lot was full, probably a good bet that a bunch of Crag Rats were out and about.

The Cooper Spur ski area is well marked from Hwy 35...the turn off is called Cloud Cap Road. Drive to the gate, park in the obvious parking area. The trail is obvious, expecially since it hasn't snowed for years. (it seems). Hike up to the cabin, just keep working up hill. You will get above tree line and all is obvious. Have fun.

Anyone know what the Sheriff with a snowcat trailer was doing at the Tilly Jane Parking lot....

That truck has been there since the beginning of the season. If you skinned up the Cloud Cap Road, just past the gate, that's where they park the Crag Rats snow machine. That old truck usually stays in the parking lot during the entire snow season, since that is the truck that hauls the sno cat up there.

Edited by Frikadeller

Hood River County Sheriff is a member of the Hood River Crag Rats, the north side search/rescue team. If the Tilly Jane Lot was full, probably a good bet that a bunch of Crag Rats were out and about.

And so was the parking lot at the White River Canyon on 35. My first thought was they are searching for a sledneck with a broken neck.

Anyone know what the Sheriff with a snowcat trailer was doing at the Tilly Jane Parking lot....

That truck has been there since the beginning of the season. If you skinned up the Cloud Cap Road, just past the gate, that's where they park the Crag Rats snow machine. That old truck usually stays in the parking lot during the entire snow season, since that is the truck that hauls the sno cat up there.

Ah, I just never seen it there before...went up a few times last winter and it wasn't there. Thanks for the answer Frik.