mt. adams conditions

jeremyaw

Just wondering if any of you have first hand knowledge. Are the roads passable to cold springs? The conditions report says there is a lot of snow still, but I just was wanting someone to validate those claims as I was hoping to make a run for the summit in the next few weeks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT FIRST HAND, but I felt sorry for you.

I got it off of this website:

http://66.155.42.150/advscripts/climb_mta.asp

ROAD CONDITIONS

Snow blocks vehicle travel on the primary access roads from Trout Lake to the South Climb. Road 8040 is blocked by snow just past Wicky Shelter. This is approximately 6.5 miles from Cold Springs, the summer trailhead for the South Climb. At Cold Springs there is still 7 feet of snow.

Road 8040500 past Morrison Cr. Campground has been closed (by gate) for the winter season. This is 3 miles from Cold Springs and the South Climb Trailhead. The road will be reopened in late spring, once the majority of snow has melted from the road. This closure is to protect the new road surface.

For the latest information on conditions please call the Mt. Adams Ranger Station at 509-395-3400.

[ 05-21-2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Bronco ]

Just went snowboarded Adams last weekend. There's a big patch of snow covering the road, as the link indicated about 6-7 miles from the trail head. A good 4X4 and the skill to use it should save you about 3 miles one way, though. (Sadly, my honda accord was not up to the task). Snow shoes/skis are definitely in order.

Took about 14 hours round trip to the false summit at a reasonable pace.

Matt