First time out west,Things to bring?

randyjgoat

I was in Ecuador last year and we did both Illinizas, Cayambe and then made a bid for Cotopaxi but got stymied by weather and torpor. I highly recommend the Ramp route on Illiniza Sur as an acclimitization climb before heading to anything bigger. I found it a lot of fun as well.

I wish I would have had more time to spend down there on that trip. One of these days I hope to return.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ecuador is fun. Chimbo is one of the better BIG mountains. Coto is fun...fairly easy, and straight forward. If you have the technical ablities and are looking for a more remote peak, try El Altar. El Altar is pretty much the crown jewel of Ecuador.

I liked Ecuador, but Peru is better. The peaks in Peru are just unbelevably beautiful. Mountains...as opposed to volcanos.

Hey Gidget,Honestly I mostly succeeded in getting pretty wicked altitude sickness,puking and some wild halucinations/delusions.Witnessed some pretty cool riots down lower.Actually I did make it as far as 19,800 on Chimbo.Probably could have finishe d ,but we got too late of a start. [big Drink][big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by randyjgoat:

Hey Gidget,Honestly I mostly succeeded in getting pretty wicked altitude sickness,puking and some wild halucinations/delusions.Witnessed some pretty cool riots down lower.
[big Grin]

hey you made it to my girlfriends birthday party too!!!! i dont really remember anyone else there that wasnt a gnome....but it is cool more then just a few of us made it back!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

rbw1966,I got a really nice look at Illiniza Sur from our hotel balconey in Latcunga.The clouds opened up for a few minute,and it was like " Where the hell did that come from?"

Definetly looks like a beautiful peak.We passed El Altar also,pretty impressive is an understatement. [big Grin]