Fav Climb Nobody Talks About

Peter_Puget

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the climbs in bend that backclipped (do we know each other??)mentioned are at "cougar" on a 400-500 foot high crag 11 miles west of bend, visible from the road below. it's andesite. it looks like spring mountain in some ways but has faces with edges and patinas more similar to granite (really). it sees amazingly little traffic despite its proximity and pretty short approach. it saw its first ascents in the late 1970s: groundup trad. then in the 80s and 90s it got some rap-bolted routes from guys like jim davis and mike pajunas who had been bolting in smith. (they also put up trad lines, but mainly sport routes)

a bunch of groundup first ascents of both single and multi pitch routes went on back in 2005-2007, adding to the maybe 35-45 routes that existed before then. there's maybe 50-60 routes now.

if not for smith 30-40 miles northeast i am sure it would be overly bolted and heavily trafficked. i could spray all day but i won't...but i will say that the 4 pitch cougar buttress (from the 70s) has got to be the best 5-9 multi in oregon, not that that is saying much....

La Cierta Edad & Overhanging Hangover in Red rocks, thought both were great.

Second the Window Route on Echo Pinnacle in Moab - very unique pitch (#3 I think?).

Culls in Space, Condor, Paper Tiger, Pack Animal direct & Toy Blocks at Smith seemed like very good routes.

...but i will say that the 4 pitch cougar buttress (from the 70s) has got to be the best 5-9 multi in oregon, not that that is saying much....

it's nice but there's gotta be others out there that could compete, no? White Satin? Dilley's Delight even.

fgw: have you climbed cougar buttress?

it's like 400 sustained feet of 5-8 or 5-9 comparable to the best parts of white satin, thin air, etc. at smith - and from right off the ground until the base of the headwall 400 feet later. (from there you can do either a 4th class escape left of the headwall, 11c trad straight up the headwall, or 5-10 trad to cut into the 4th class escape)