[TR] Shuksan - nf climb, summit pyramid & white salmon ski 2/6/2010

danhelmstadter

Trip: Shuksan - nf climb, summit pyramid & white salmon ski

Date: 2/6/2010

Trip Report:

My truck sputtered, lurching a little as it lost power and I pulled over to the shoulder - westbound on 542 near demming. Fuck -- it could be done for this time, maybe the engine finally quit... Ring...Ring -- wtf? I have cell coverage? and who the hell is calling? It was Sky, asking if I wanted to get uber rad on shuksan the next morning... I explained that my truck had just broke down a minute ago, and that I was stranded on the the side of the road somewhere near demming. I told him that I'd try to make it, but it was getting near 8pm, and considering current circumstances -- I propbably wouldn't be able to make it...

I crossed my fingers and fired the ignition -- and it fired up just fine, must be the fuel filter.. I drove into town and replaced it, then got some groceries and prepared to head up on the 'hill for the mmorow.

I got to the White Salmon parking area the next morning around 8, I could see Sky, Eric, Alex, Andy and Casey makeing their way up the WS drainage. I debated wether to try and catch up with them or just accept that I had gotten there too late and go ski sumpthin on the pidley side up near table. I decided to try and catch up, and ended up leaving around 9.

Travel conditions were nearly ideal for quick booting and skining, minus a bit of snowless shwacking on the descent through the clearcut into the white salmon.

It was nice to have a skin track and boot track to follow higher up on the north face -- which defintly saved time, and I topped out on the north face just as the crew was getting ready to drop. I was weary of some of the questionable stability/slabbyness I noticed on the nf, so instead of joining them, I continued to the summit.

The pyramid gully is in fine shape for skiing. There is however a 10' band of unskiable but (easily climbable via a chimney) massive rime formations seperateing the top of the gully from the summit.

The skiing was fabulous off the pyramid, a little bulletproof in the devils highway, and again on the Curtis Glacier as I gained the White Salmon -- which was absolute ripper pow.

summit shot

2466906180103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

lookin down pyramid gully

2814268530103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

pyramid

2197213690103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic