[TR] Rampart Ridge - Main Summit to Gold Creek 2/9/2010

ilookeddown

Trip: Rampart Ridge - Main Summit to Gold Creek

Date: 2/9/2010

Trip Report:

Today I skied a line off the main summit of Rampart Ridge. I started out at the Gold Creek just after 9am under blue skies. I trudged up the heavily used road under icy conditions. I took an old logging road after about a ½ mile that took me up to about 3k ft I left the road and toured up to the south shoulder of Rampart ridge to about 5360 ft. Snow conditions improved above 4k. I took the skins off and traversed north beneath cliffs and then skied down to Laura Lake at 4400 Ft.

Lake Laura with traverse and slope above

Line_down_from_south_Rampart_to_Laura_Lake.JPG

I strapped the ski to my pack and climbed up a drainage to Lake Lillian. I crossed the lake and the toured up to a col above the lake at 5370 ft

Col above Lake Lillian

Col_above_Lake_Lillian.JPG

Looking down from col to the south

Looking_South_from_col.JPG

Tree at col

Tree.JPG

From the col I had a short but beautiful ski down a north facing slope to a small pond.

Tracks down from col

Tracks_from_col_to_pond.JPG

From here I put the skins back on and headed for the summit of Rampart Ridge at 5810 ft.

Slope I skied and the summit of Rampart in the distance on my way up.

Ski_line_and_summit_on_the_way_up.JPG

South summit of Rampart with some great looking mellow lines lines.

South_Summin_of_Rampart.JPG

The ski from the summit was interesting. The snow was a bit sun affected. It was 1:15 at this point. After skiing a nice open slope I then made my way down around a few cliff bands and found myself on a shelf above some what seemed like large cliffs. I tried to traverse skiers left to a line I saw on my way up that I knew went through but it was a dead end and still too high to get to it. I usually don’t ski a line like this blind.

The dead end.

End_of_the_line.JPG

I found a suitable sapling and rappelled down to safer ground.

Rapelling down

Start_of_Rappel.JPG

Pulling the rope

Pulling_the_rope.JPG

The line I took. Red is the ski, yellow is the rappel and green is the way I should have gone. The main summit is not in view. It is behind the large rock face.

Ski_Line_1.jpg

From here I had a great ski down to Gold Lake.

Looking back from Gold Lake.

Looking_back_from_gold_lake.JPG

From the lake the skiing started to suck. In a normal year and with good snow this would be a very enjoyable line but on this day it was a nasty, cliff riddled gully covered in avalanche debris for 1800ft. Toward the bottom I had had enough and decided the steep icy treed area would be more enjoyable. After getting spanked I opted for the brush covered sun crust slopes. By the time I mastered the sideslip things turned to breakable slush. Finally I hit the Gold Creek Trail and skated the mile back to my car where a ticket was waiting for me for not displaying the Sno Park Pass that was in my glove box.

Nasty Gully

Nasty_Gully.JPG

Fun Brush

Brush.JPG

The tour was about 4400ft in elevation with just over 7 miles traveled.

Approximate Route

route.jpg

Gear Notes:

Touring Gear

Harness, 1.8mm 60m 1/2 rope

Ski and boot crampons not used

Edited by ilookeddown

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days