Taping Tool Shafts

Julian

Anyone got any recommendations/suggestions for good choices of tape to use on upper tool shafts? Obviously waterproof/resistant and grippy are the main considerations, I'm just wondering if anyone has played around with options here and knows what works best. I was thinking hockey stick tape, but I'm all ears for other ideas!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard bad things about hockey tape. Namely that it's absorptive, and therefore, likely to freeze up. CXycling bar tape would be a good idea, but it's pretty fragile - it's just thin cork. Definitely not up to being bashed around bulges, cauliflowers, etc.

I've heard very good things about this tape though: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/tools-shop/quick-fixes-and-repair/96825.aspx

Insulative, super tacky and grippy, waterproof, very strong and abrasion resistant. It's widely favored on my local ice board (NEice.com - the east coast equivalent of CC.com).

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/tools-shop/quick-fixes-and-repair/96825.aspx

Insulative, super tacky and grippy, waterproof, very strong and abrasion resistant. It's widely favored on my local ice board (NEice.com - the east coast equivalent of CC.com).

They're not calling it mastic tape, but it sure looks like it from the pictures on that website. Could be the same thing.

I've used electrician's splicing tape in the past -- not electrical tape, but the self-adhesive stuff, which seems to work well. Available at Home Depot, Ace hardware and probably Lowe's.

Recently though I switched over to hockey tape after an ice climbing buddy from Canada bought me some - Renfrew 24mm x 18m from Canadian Tire. The Canadian maple leaf flag logo is quite fetching :grin:

I second the electrician's splicing tape (not electrical tape but the no adhesive stuff). The stuff is very cheap ($2-3/roll), grips well and doesn't absorb water.

If you use skateboard style deck tape (or anything with too much texture) it has the tendency to ball up with snow on alpine climbs.

Heat shrink tubing isn't very grippy at all, and worse, it's very expensive.

I have had good luck with quick-fix plumber's tape (or "rapid-seal" tape, whatever they're calling it these days). It's a self-adhesive, thin rubber tape that bonds to itself over time to create a solid grip that can't unravel. The $9.00 roll that I got from McLendons was enough to do a double rap on the full-length of my Quark shafts.

From experimenting, I found that a double rap is necessary, because the single rap is very thin and will end up tearing under its tension (you stretch the tape as you apply it).

I buy two different mastic tapes at Lowes, couple bucks per pack.

They sit side by side in the electrical tape section of Lowes.

3M Temflex 2155, "rubber splicing tape" is the same stuff Petzl uses but a lot cheaper in this form. One role will easily do two tools.

The better choice imo is Scotch brand 228 Moisture sealing electrical tape. It is heavier/thicker/way stickier than 3M and has lasted me 3 seasons so far (with no end in sight, ice and alpine) and is always sticky, wet or dry. Takes one role per tool with a tiny bit to spare on a Nomic. Ya just gotta watch what you lay the tools against 'cuz the stuff is so sticky it will wrap around anything, clothing, your other tool, helmets...you get the idea.

Kinda like the climbing version of silly putty.

You don't need to tape the ends on either as it is self sealing and is easy to apply.

Nothing else even close that I have seen. 3M is cheaper and works fine. The Scotch brand stuff is what I use to wrap the tools I climb with.

just curious, what are you guys leading that requires the tape job? I don't tape my tools since I figure I'd need to be gripping the upper shaft of my tool above the hand rest for about a minute per hold, and leading quite a bit of steep as shit mixed to have it matter? am I not supposed to be using the hand rests on the bottom and mid tool? has cc.com lead ability gotten a lot better in the last couple years?

I don't tape my tools since I figure I'd need to be gripping the upper shaft of my tool above the hand rest for about a minute per hold

Ouch :) you must have been in a hurry when you wrote that post.

Couple of guys taping their tools on this thread and climbing WI6+ and really hard mixed on a regular basis...but it aint me.

The reason I wrap my tools almost full shaft (2" shy of the head) is I like to do a lot of high dagger position stuff on easier terrain. And I actually like climbing easier terrain with radically curved tools :) But then I really do like climbing easy stuff so what do I know? I'll run my hand from the upper grip to the head of the tool to avoid as many placements as possible. Just to save strength and climb faster. Good tape keeps the hands warmer on aluminum. And I like the rubber texture over bare aluminum or carbon fiber. On steep ice I like to match on the second grip so I wrap there with better tape than Petzl supplies and wrap over the Fusion/Cobra upper grip and higher on the shaft just for consistancy. . While you are at it, easy enough to wrap farther up the tool and can't see that it hurts anything. If for no other reason, it helps me at least feel more secure.

Climbing Shooting Gallery a couple of winters ago in -30 temps and some deep snow was the first time I decided I wanted more insulation on the shaft for high dagger. Freaking cold hands and tools getting through that powder to get a stick.

Perfect example...of terrain and hand position where I like a taped shaft where other's might not notice. I'm obviously not Ueli so I tape:)

MG_1514.jpg

21572_1339908333314_1099338977_31038894_5106671_n.jpg

I've found that the Petzl tape works really well and is a pretty simple solution. It might not be worth driving all around town looking through hardware stores to save $5 every couple of years..

Here in Canada the insulative properties of tape on the shaft are nice sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a trade between insulation and tape. I choose not to stretch it and get more insulation. Which is why I get one tool per roll.

The stuff is made to seal leaks in pipe. I am using it to give a sticky grip and just as important to give insulation to a cold aluminum shaft.