sweet fusion tatoo!

Corduroy Man

I don't really get any tattoo. I know they're a form of social marking...a substitute display because we no longer have fur (OK, som of us no longer have fur), but an anecdotal survey of tattoos comes up with the conclusion that most folks would do better to stamp the word UNORIGINAL or UNFORTUNATE on their forehead. They seem to me to be a tragic attempt to display inner uniqueness in what is almost a completely overused and cliche outward manner.

If you look at nearly all the tattoos out there, most fall into only a handful of categories: faux bad ass biker gang skulls and snakes n shit (often displayed on skinny, pasty white barristas who might aspire to own a moped one day), 'Enter the Dragon' style (no kung fu training required), celtic (particularly popular among those who obviously are not), PNW Indian (ditto), the beloved tramp stamp. There is so often a painfully obvious disconnect between wearer and symbolism.

I once read than in Maori culture, a shaman studies a subject for a long time before applying tattoos that reveal that person's unique spirit.

Um...yeah. If that were true here, a whole lot of folks would be sporting a Big Mac or X Box on their torsos.

Every once in a couple of years or so I do see a cool tattoo, though. The last one, about 2 years ago, was a series of physics equations on a guy's arm.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this guys fusion tat is a social satire and a form of "livig art." A commentary on the tension between an individual's desire to feel unique and the need to be part of a group subculture but how we are in reality an unalienated part of commercial mega culture. Or maybe he's just a dumb ass.

At least its not as bad as the dude I saw at the grocery the other day with a tribal band tat across his receding hairline. Whatever.

The wearing of corporate labels, now permanent in the form of tats, started sometime in the 70s as I recall, with designer labels for disco jeans. Why anyone would willingly become a walking billboard for the shit they buy is beyond me. I suppose it goes hand in hand with the whole verbing movement. "See these window stickers? I'm seriously lifestyling dood" Probably not too hard to explain though. After all, this is a culture that laps up The Biggest Loser and Jersey Shore: tragically un-self aware human cartoons that are really only one or two steps removed from an audience that tunes in to get their wafer thin fix of superiority.

I would have thought Frieh was smart enough to at least know what the meaning of the term "passive agressive" is, but looks like the K-bone Syndrome is contagious.

If you can't handle criticism than don't get an image permanently imprinted onto your skin and post it on the internet.

Life fades soon. Sadly, skin ages as well. For to soon all of us, no matter how great or small, will be but distant memories not of this earth anymore. Yet before the end of the road hits, I will remember that the colorful swallow I put on my chest while traveling Europe at age 21 when I had gotten out of the service, and the startlingly pretty Norwegian girl who helped remove the bloody bandage before teaching me many things, including what scabies are...well, colors fade and skin ages and soon enough my swallow all too soon started looking like a sparrow which had been run over by a truck. So what? Soon there will be no skin and no life. I shudder to think of what the beautiful blond Norwegian girl looks like now, but she lies naked and amazing still as yet unchanged in my minds eye. Revel in it while we have it my brothers.

Revel!

Soloing on Couchmaster Shuffle last summer.

Tattoo.jpg

John R, how long till you shuffle off to Asscrackistan? Hopefully you get some summer here and not just cold and wet.

I love how you guys always make it about you. :laf:

Obviously Rick should have consulted the cc.com brain trust first before getting HIS tattoo to see what you guys think of HIS tattoo :rolleyes:

KEEP CC.COM PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE!!! (if that's okay with you of course)

I retract my statement about the dumb tat. A good friend of mine has an even dumber tat. (John you can appreciate this) This guy loves computers so much that he got a Pentium 4 chip tattooed on his foot. (this was back when a P4 CPU was hot shit)

john, have you not been hanging out in spray lately? folks have been plenty regular-flavor aggressive of late!

I was more referring to the talk tough online act normal in person act (I'm thinking "Pink Flu" would be a good name for it ;) ) but hey I'm a dumb ass according to Pete so what do I know! :laf:

I love how you guys always make it about you. :laf:

Obviously Rick should have consulted the cc.com brain trust first before getting HIS tattoo to see what you guys think of HIS tattoo :rolleyes:

KEEP CC.COM PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE!!! (if that's okay with you of course)

I retract my statement about the dumb tat. A good friend of mine has an even dumber tat. (John you can appreciate this) This guy loves computers so much that he got a Pentium 4 chip tattooed on his foot. (this was back when a P4 CPU was hot shit)

:laf: :laf: :laf::tup:

As we've all seen someone will always be willing to tell us something we did is dumb. Would I get the same tat as Rick or your friend Nate? Nope. But that said cheers to them for doing something they wanted to do that didnt affect the rest of us :brew:

someday when i get sum money i'm gonna tattoo my kids' names on my forearms - that way i'll remember who to call to wipe my ass during my golden years

How about a tramp stamp which says "Wipe here" followed by an arrow? By then you'll be dependent on government healthcare that involves a fat, old, stupid and slothful non-caring matron. The children will have learned to plot a course on a map which will have them living quite some distance away from where ever you are. They have this well figured out when they hit about 13, however, plans cannot be actualized until they are 18 and like a whiff of smoke...poof: gone! This is the way of the world as you know. And as you many not be aware, long distance wiping never works.

Self styled body artists might do well to familiarize themselves with the concept of 'connotation' prior to inking.

This comment must be related to your boyfriends under the beltline spitting Cobra tattoo.

Off, you don't want her looking like Abbie Hoffman now do ya? Careful of offering to pay for such things:-)

avedon--hoffman.jpg

:laf: :laf: :laf::tup:

As we've all seen someone will always be willing to tell us something we did is dumb. Would I get the same tat as Rick or your friend Nate? Nope. But that said cheers to them for doing something they wanted to do that didnt affect the rest of us :brew:

I have to give my buddy props, he was very excited about his Intel P4 tattoo despite the heckling. I told him he should get new ink every time Intel came out with a new family of CPUs. Although he is stoked about hit tattoo, I don't think the girls are very impressed by it. Any ouch painful on the foot!