You must see this

Dane

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great find, Dane. I've bookmarked it for later viewing when I have more time. Reinhold was my first climbing hero, and I've always admired that guy's drive and determination. Some folks call him an asshole, but you can't argue with his principles and accomplishments.

I was glad when I first found this movie. Until then all I had on Messner were his memoirs, Free Spirit, and random articles here and there. I found the book a little curt and dry emotionally, but after watching this video I got what I first expected and didn't really get from his writing - a soul deeply connected to the mountains.

You might want to read this:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51799

Regardless of which turn of events was the actual happening, this new film, which openly markets itself as being the story told by Reinhold, has been taken as a direct insult to deceased members of the expedition, as well as being labelled factually incorrect.

Gerhard Baur, a surviving member of the expedition, told the German website Spiegel that "It is a constructed story, and is not the truth about Nanga Parbat ... it is presented as if it were a documentary when it doesn't reflect the facts..."

Steffen Kern's main objection to the film is the crass misrepresentation of several of the deceased expedition members, including a scene where they are shown to rejoice when they suspect that the Messner brothers are dead.

Reinhold Messner, the now legendary climber whose character stars in the film, survived the Nanga Parbat climb, his first major Himalayan route, and the ensuing aftermath, and went on to become one of the World's most successful mountaineers with an unparalleled CV in high altitude climbing. Crowning moments include the first ascent of Everest without supplementary oxygen, and becoming the first person to complete all 14 8000m peaks.

Messner says on the German magazine and website Klettern.de that the film was a collaboration between him and the director Joseph Vilsmaier and that the pair had formed a strong bond whilst making Nanga Parbat.

"I am in total agreement with Joseph Vilsmaier - the best film scripts are written by real life. All we need to do is recount what has happened to arouse strong emotions in the viewer." commented Messner.

Other people involved with the ascent don't agree that this film does recount what happened and it is regarded by many as more fiction than fact. Klaus Herrligkoffer, the expedition leader's son, failed to recognise his own father due to him being cast as a "tyrant using unspeakable Nazi rhetoric" as described by Kern in his damning review of the film.

Drew it would help to point out you have added info from a totally different film than my first link.

One of the first things you learn doing criminal investigations is if everyone has the same story, they are all lying.

Messner is many things and has strong opinions he is willing to voice much to the peril of those around him but I seriously doubt he is a liar.

Drew it would help to point out you have added info from a totally different film than my first link.

Yes, the point is, the first film has been designed to show RM in a good light, whereas the point of the link I added was to remind us in the real world he often comes across as a great climber but also a douchebag to many of his early partners.

but you know there's more to climbing than being liked...

cimg0736xv7.jpg

Like rockin' the FILA

:)

I know a few good climbers...many of them I wouldn't bring home (again) to meet my wife.

"in the real world he often comes across as a great climber but also a douchebag to many of his early partners"

That can easily be said about more than one climbing personality.

No one can argue Messner deserves the credit for what he has done. And that was no less than turn the mountaineering world upside down and then roughly shake it a bit. I have no doubt Messner lives in a fairly black and white world.

Thanks, Dane, for sharing the link to the fine film.

I especially enjoyed his wilderness perspective (around 37 minutes into the film) which is well worth contemplating.

Messner was/is certainly driven and the fact remains that he accomplished so many amazing things for the FIRST time and the sharing of his stories and outlook have inspired many.

One of my first climbing partners back in the mid-'70's read "The Seventh Grade" by Messner and it served as a real positive life-motivator.

MessnerSeventhGrade.jpg

• 1 month later...
This link is just for Drew, me and other non-USA climbers (mortals).

http://www.watch-free.tv/documentary/watch-messner-documentary-online-free/

You HULU watchers are climbing elite ...

Thanks Zoran. Regardless if he was a douche or not, or one of the greatest climbers of the world, I found the movie very cool and inspiring. I loved the fact he lived by his own terms not anybody elses. It was also interesting to see some of the things he has been up to. He is a very interesting for sure.