climbing mt. adams

jeremyaw

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've attempted it in May 99 and early Sept 99

May 99 - Hike through snow 8 miles to cold springs campground, bivi halfway between cold springs and lunch counter, get up sunday and go for a burger in Trout Lake. Later heard nobody got past Piker's peak because of high winds.

Sept 99 - drive to cold springs, hike up to top and back down in time for a burger at Trout Lake.

Depending on what you are after for an experience, (just tag the top or overnighter) anytime between now and september should be fun. [Wink]

I was thinking of climbing sometime in May and camping out overnight on the mountain. This may be a dumb question but I am an extremely novice climber, having only summitted Mt. Mcloughlin. If I was to set up camp, (at pikers peak I believe) would I leave my tent etc. at the site while I summit then return to camp after reaching the peak?? Thanks for any info, sorry if these seem to be ridiculous questions, I am a beginner.

Jeremy:

It's all about having fun and being safe. Most bivi on the "lunch counter" below pikers peak and leave their bivi gear there while they go make a summit attempt. Like Tim said, the glissade down is one of the best in the cascades.

Also - you may want to see if you can get a more experienced climber type to go with you, at over 12,000' bad things happen all the time even on easy terrain.

Have fun and be safe.

Jeremy,

Pikers summit is a mere 20 minute walk (in ideal weather and conditions) barely uphill to the summit.

I suggest the lunch counter [Wink] By the time you hike to Pikers summit you might as well do it in a day instead of camping.

[ 04-16-2002, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

Crampons are always a good idea to take with you on adams, never can be sure of the snow/ice conditions. I actually camped below the Lunch Counter right before the hill to the LC, it was nice with some trees around.

have fun, be safe, and if you can find someone to go with that has some experience, this makes for a good time to learn some of the techniques you will need for other mountains.

sean [big Drink]