USE YOUR REAL NAMES ON CC.COM

billcoe

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WA's execution protocol is under review after legal challenges. Delving into this issue is a surreal experience. Current protocol calls for a 3 drug cocktail: anesthesia, paralytic, poison, in that order.

I have an inherent discomfort with the State having to power to kill its citizens, but even for those who suffer from no such squeamishness, there are other compelling reasons to end the death penalty. One, of course, is that execution is far more expensive than life in prison. Millions of dollars more expensive per case. Secondly, there is a significant number of prisoners who go to their deaths falsely convicted. Finally, from an ethical standpoint, how does the State find a doctor to supervise an involuntary killing. If the State does not use doctors, who is qualified to practice what is essentially a medical procedure, and by what license, training, and authority?

i'd guess lethal injection, since no risk of heads popping off.

correct

i'd think there are plenty of folks out on aurora w/ the necessary training to set the iv's up :) i heard the single shot of barbs is what vets use for animals these days, having discarded the 3 shot option a long time back

i like the bit in monty pythons meaning of life where you get to choose your own method of execution - dude elects to be chased over a cliff by a few score topless hotties :)

Killing under the pretense of discouraging killing sends a fairly ambiguous message.

Thread drift! Moderators, move this to SPRAY at once! Listen, if one thing is obvious, it is the pervasion of ADD among recent contributors to this thread. Let's stay on topic here.....which is....if I remember, the notion that one should not make a statement on a controversial topic (like grid-bolting on Mt. Garfield) w/o disclosing his/her identity.

There is no small number of reasons why contributors to these discussions wish to remain at large, not the least of which is that foul-mouthed guys like Choda Boy and Dick Head inevitably degrade our high-brow discourse to locker-room talk. The quality of these exchanges is not something with which many of us wish to have our real names associated. It’s nothing less than amusing that guys anointed with the powers of moderation (OWhite, for example) suggest that contributors such as I wouldn’t stand behind our statements if only the general readership were aware of our real identities. Joke.

In the words of one of my true heroes, not to mention one of the founders of this website, “People have a right to stay anonymous, I guess Matt doesn't agree. I'll make sure your name is erased that Dru posted so you can reconsider.”

This is a promise made to me when I asked …..Gee, this is a long story. Once upon a time, some prick from a third-world country (think it was Canada) started throwing my name around in the Alpine Lakes forum. I asked MattP (you know the guy……he who once was given the prestigious Alpine Buddy award by me and Dwayner) to “correct the problem”. He said, something to the effect that I shouldn’t expect him to do his job as moderator. So, I went straight to the top, asking one of the site’s owners to help “correct the problem”. He promised to help. I’m still waiting. Although he did offer some kind of philosophical statement….. see the quote above.

Where am I going with this? Oh yes, a challenge……to the moderators of this site, many who claim to be “liberals”…….you know, vanguards of the free exchange of ideas, protectors of the environment, champions of minorities, etc. Next time a controversial topic surfaces (for example, fixed-anchor ethics), instead of immediately demoting the topic to spray, DO YOUR JOB! Please cleanse the exchanges of all insults, locker-room talk, personal attacks, ridiculous analogies, etc. When (and if) this happens, I’ll be happy to attach my full name to my comments.

Thread drift! Moderators, move this to SPRAY at once! Listen, if one thing is obvious, it is the pervasion of ADD among recent contributors to this thread. Let's stay on topic here.....which is....if I remember, the notion that one should not make a statement on a controversial topic (like grid-bolting on Mt. Garfield) w/o disclosing his/her identity.

There is no small number of reasons why contributors to these discussions wish to remain at large, not the least of which is that foul-mouthed guys like Choda Boy and Dick Head inevitably degrade our high-brow discourse to locker-room talk.

So we've established we are in Spray. I think we can all agree on that. :lmao:

If we were to create a forum where posters used their real then everybody (Pope, Choda Boy, Dick Head, Raindawg) would have to use their real name. Obviously we haven't done that yet, and may never.

Trying to say that bolting discussion on CC is ever, "high-brow discourse," without your opponents is hilarious. You and Dawg engage in lots of mud slinging/locker-room talk without the help of either Choda or Dick Head or anyone else. I'd advise against the arguement, Avatar1 "He started it," Avatar2 "No I didn't you started it."

You could get a lot of backers if you stuck to

• No crack bolting
  • No grid bolting
  • Observe historical practices at a crag

You'll loose backers if you drift off into, "no rap bolting..."

Next time a controversial topic surfaces (for example, fixed-anchor ethics), instead of immediately demoting the topic to spray, DO YOUR JOB! Please cleanse the exchanges of all insults, locker-room talk, personal attacks, ridiculous analogies, etc. When (and if) this happens, I’ll be happy to attach my full name to my comments.

Given that these threads are usually started by either Raindawg or you in an insulting manner, are you asking me to delete the entire thread? This isn't a JOB, since I don't get paid, and babysitting your pet rant is not really what I want to do for hours a day, every day. Your rants are not an asset to the site. You want custom service? PAY ME A DECENT WAGE.

I heard there is a guy named Eric Mohler who whines when his real name is used on the intardnet. Seems he is a little bit less than proud of some of his past accomplishments and doesn't want his name associated with them anymore.

I keep seeing this photo of some dude climbing Brass Balls (I think) solo. I wonder who that guy could be?

BTW I did a search and found some Eric Mohler dude who was the assistant engineer for Sammy Hagar back in the 80s

VOA

Thing is, there's a great story that has been posted along with those photos, and I thought its been one of the better contributions from that poster. He should be encouraged to do more of that rather than be ridiculed for it.

Jeeezzz lose the passive-agressive and you take away the soul of cascadeclimbers!

Pope, I looked into your issue. I even took the time to talk to the person who posted your name, which BTW wasn't breaking any privacy rules on this website, but I'll get to that part in a minute. Upon asking said "third world citizen" about the incident, the person said he would have had no problem removing your name from his post if you hadn't been such a dick to him about it in a PM. At which point I dropped it on my end.

We as administrators of this website do everything in our power to protect your privacy. Privacy as your email address and account information that you enter when you sign up for this website. We have no information about your identity except what you give us; no drivers license, SSN, credit card number. When a person posts your name or information about yourself it is because you as a poster have revealed that information on your own behalf, in your case which you have done over the course of 9 years. You and your friend have both posted your own name in your own posts. At that point the issue is between you and the keeper/s of your "secret", not us.

I can more then appreciate your situation and your desire to keep your information private. But you have made you own bed in this situation about how you chose to deal with it, so the blame lies squarely on your shoulders.