USE YOUR REAL NAMES ON CC.COM

billcoe

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, there is no move afoot to require such a thing on this board; as Bug pointed out, traffic would plummet and people would have much less fun.

We could make a special ethics forum that requires real names, and that would be the only place those "debates" are allowed. If everyone is as opposed as all you avatar wielders claim, it might finally do away with all that repetitive unpleasantness even if it doesn't induce greater civility and personal restraint in the bait and insult game.

I'm still waiting for Matt to out Hugh_Conway.

Appparently it's OK to threaten to "cape" someone but not OK to talk about bolting ethics.

Comments Matt?

why are you still whining about that? carl used to post under his real name and if you saw him in person and felt like you couldn't "cape" him before he could "cape" you, ya must be in a fucking wheelchair - i'm pretty certain my 6 year old could take 8-ball (but then she's a vicious little creature w/ an affinity for going straight for your johnson, man, and not w/ no cape i assure you)

move on!

:)

Just to be clear, there is no move afoot to require such a thing on this board; as Bug pointed out, traffic would plummet and people would have much less fun.

Sprayer traffic might but with less of the senseless banter you might actually get some climbing related discussion and more lurkers would post and fill the traffic void sprayers may have left.

I hope that it is a requirement for the new wiki to edit/report/contribute that one has to use their real name

Appparently it's OK to threaten to "cape" someone but not OK to talk about bolting ethics.

Comments Matt?

"Bug", I'm really sorry we mishandled that incident. When "Hugh" commented that he should have "caped your ass on the inter glacier" (which all understood to mean "capped"), I assumed that in fact you guys had encountered each other out in MRNP and were making with some banter. I don't believe anyone took what "Hugh" said seriously, and we failed to understand that you really felt threatened. I apologize for any fear and distress you experienced, and I'll make every effort to take future complaints at face value.

edited to add: "Bug", "Raindawg" had already outed his own self with a little book promotion, and he still hasn't answered my question why it would be inappropriate for Matt to repeat information he has already shared.

Avatars tell you something about the person that the name their parents gave them doesn't.

There is obviously a market for allowing people to post anonymously and to say things that are socially taboo. Isn't it better to have these arguments out in the open instead of everyone smiling and nodding to each other (where is the nodder anyway (For that matter I've never understood the whole nodder thing))?

Who's going to run the background checks to make sure that the people are who they say they are? I've never trusted that rooster guy. I've always suspected that she's a hen.

I do find it frustrating that a lot of people here are just in it for the mud slinging and I find it difficult to have any kind of meaningful discussion.

I don't post anything that I wouldn't say to someone's face but I also don't want some nutcase messing with my life. The Pass the Pitons Pete saga on RC actually both fascinates me and freaks me out and there have been a few awkward situations on TGR where people have been messed with IRL. I think that anonymity protects the innocent more so than enabling the attacks (not that I'm calling PTPP innocent).

Comments Matt?

"Bug", I'm really sorry we mishandled that incident. When "Hugh" commented that he should have "caped your ass on the inter glacier" (which all understood to mean "capped"), I assumed that in fact you guys had encountered each other out in MRNP and were making with some banter. I don't believe anyone took what "Hugh" said seriously, and we failed to understand that you really felt threatened. I apologize for any fear and distress you experienced, and I'll make every effort to take future complaints at face value.

Thank you for the acknowledgement and apology.

It is the first time that anyone at cc.com has acknowledged any "problem" existed.

To this day, I do not know who Hugh is or what he looks like.

I was assured by someone else that he was not a threat but that was after three days of wondering who he was and how dangerous he was. I did do a search of his posts to find out who he was. I also pm'd a few people to find out and finally found one person who knew who he was. Not one of the moderators or owners of this site offered any assistance in any form. Porter seemed to think it was pretty funny.

MattP, please explain to us how these issues might/might not affect our wives and families.

I believe you have first-hand knowledge of this sort of issue and had the offending party(s) banned.

Am I wrong?

How would you have handled it if Porter had cracked jokes about the threats you recieved and did nothing about it?

Ivan, are you arguing that because you know who he is and that he is small that he should be able to anonymously threaten the lives of other posters?

Should we all just say, “It’s OK to threaten each other physically now”?

Pretty lame stance asshole.

Having been on Rainier with Hugh on the day where the use of the word capped later came up I can assure you, "Bug," that the chances of Hugh actually capping you are about 0%. Besides the thread quickly turned to Caping.

[img:center]http://www.skirmishgoldcoast.com.au/images/sep%2009/caped%20crusaiders.jpg[/img]

The only question we really have is differentiating posting based on subject. Lots of people like to bs around the campfire, but they may not want their conversation easily googled by folks thinking of hiring them for work.

On the other hand serious subjects involving climbing ethics may be worth forcing everybody to stand behind what they say.

No matter what given enough time and searching we can all be identified and tied to a user name. It's just a matter of whether or not to eliminate searching effort on some subjects.

[edited to add: "Bug", "Raindawg" had already outed his own self with a little book promotion, and he still hasn't answered my question why it would be inappropriate for Matt to repeat information he has already shared.

So Off White...I did a little search on this board last night to find my so-called book promotions. What did I find? Years ago I quoted from a couple of them to address questions, including one about Machu Picchu and gave a title of an archaeology book where I describe such sites should anyone be interested. Book promotion???? Hardly. I never mentioned my own name or where I live.

And if I had, it would have been my own choice, not that of "mattp" who has an axe to grind when it comes to certain topics. And I consider adding my town of residence to be malicious.

And then there are those who ridicule my profession outside of climbing and the moderators must find it amusing despite the complaints.

Whatever, dude.

I was assured by someone else that he was not a threat but that was after three days of wondering who he was and how dangerous he was. I did do a search of his posts to find out who he was. I also pm'd a few people to find out and finally found one person who knew who he was. Not one of the moderators or owners of this site offered any assistance in any form. Porter seemed to think it was pretty funny.

Bug-

Again I'm sorry if you thought I was threatening you.

If you are worried about internet confrontation escalating to real world violence why do you want the cc.com administrators to give out peoples names and vitals to another cc.com member?

OW...no need to backhandedly shit over those who've taken the time and effort to post some really great and entertaining content,

Sorry if you took it that way Pat, that wasn't my intent. The TR's are pretty much the best thing about this board, and you've contributed a lot of fine content, thanks.

It's all good.

BTW...kudos to yet another leclerc classic one liner. Best one since the 'treadmill' comment.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I hope that it is a requirement for the new wiki to edit/report/contribute that one has to use their real name

Ditto

That's a good point and something we have thought about in doing that. It might be that we might make so that people can associate their screen names with their wiki name, or if they choose, not.