What is a gaston?

Gimpy

quote:

Originally posted by Gimpy:

I understood all that except for Iron Cross and Triple Sukahara. What are they?

In men's gymnastics, particularly the rings, the Iron Cross is a move in which the gymnast suspends himself from the rings with his arms at 90 degrees to his sides, with both legs together and pointing to the floor. Picture yourself being crucified. Looks the same, probably feels the same, too.

...sobo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by sobo:

quote:

Originally posted by Gimpy:

In men's gymnastics, particularly the rings, the Iron Cross is a move in which the gymnast suspends himself from the rings with his arms at 90 degrees to his sides, with both legs together and pointing to the floor. Picture yourself being crucified. Looks the same, probably feels the same, too.

...sobo

What about Iron Cross in women's gymnastics [Roll Eyes] ? When both hands are on the ironing board at 90 degree angles and feet are on floor spread apart with toes pointing 180 degrees and stubborn collar will not lie flat?

A term I am unfamiliar with, a gaston or to do a gaston. (spelling uncertain) I understand it to be a move or technique, but I don't know what or how it is done. I might just know it by another name or I might be missing a crucial tool for unlocking some routes that mocked me last season. So give, what's the word?

quote:

Originally posted by rayborbon:

Gaston Rebuffet or something like that spelling is a well known climber and author.
[chubit]

And there is a photo of him climbing a crack with two arms with hands together in front of his face and elbows sticking out to the sides at 90 degrees. So any time you do a move thatrequires pulling outwards like that, you can technically call it a gaston.

Like: "No shit there I was on Omega Chub....V13. I started from the sit start with a dyno to a smallow monodoight undercling. Dropping into a radical egyptian, i worked a rose move into an iron cross, knee-scummed into a no-hands rest, heel hooked my ankle in a comfortized pocket, then pimped up with a Triple Sukahara into a strenuous gasaton and double-dynoed for the lip. i thoughT i was gonna send for sure but then I grabbed a slug at the lip and when I tried to mantle on it I greased off. Bummer dood. How will I ever get Ropegun to sponsor me?"

OK, thanks for the answer. As I suspected I knew the move, not the name. I always just described it as trying to pull the crack apart.

Like: "No shit there I was on Omega Chub....V13. I started from the sit start with a dyno to a smallow monodoight undercling. Dropping into a radical egyptian, i worked a rose move into an iron cross, knee-scummed into a no-hands rest, heel hooked my ankle in a comfortized pocket, then pimped up with a Triple Sukahara into a strenuous gasaton and double-dynoed for the lip. i thoughT i was gonna send for sure but then I grabbed a slug at the lip and when I tried to mantle on it I greased off. Bummer dood. How will I ever get Ropegun to sponsor me?"