[TR] Blewitt Pass - Diamond Head and Little Diamond head 2/6/2010

AlpineK

Trip: Blewitt Pass - Diamond Head and Little Diamond head

Date: 2/6/2010

Trip Report:

Blewitt Pass is an area of the Cascades I always meant to go skiing at, but somehow I never got around to actually skiing there. Fortunately for me I got a message from some backcounty skiers I know letting me know one of them planned on a trip to the Diamond Head area. Late is better than never, so I met up with the group.

The main Blewitt Pass parking lot was full of snowmobilers. I've always avoided areas that crowd likes, but after a short treck up the logging road we were on a side trail and only heard a few engine whines the rest of the day.

A bit of uptrack

Uptrack_Panorama1-copy.gif

We skied on slopes on the north side of Diamond Head. The skiing was fun stuff but over quickly. From the bottom of our run we skied further to the north and summited Little Diamond Head.

View back towards Diamond Head

Top_Little-Diamond_Head_Pan.gif

Skiing north facing slopes from here was fun. If I were to rate the ski runs I liked stuff off Little Diamond Head better.

Upper_Decent-Lil_Diamond-He.gif

From here we skied north to Tronsen Meadows then back to the road. At the road one of our group snagged a ride and went up to the pass and picked up our vehicle.

We could have lapped a few more runs, but a couple guys in the groups had to head home.

The area is fun and worth skiing more at. I didn't see anything super gnarly, but the north facing snow up high was nice powder. It seems like a good area for skiing when avy conditions are questionable.

Gear Notes:

Backcountry ski gear

Approach Notes:

There are marked trails in the area. Cut off the main logging road to the right (eastwards) early on. The ski in heads due south. The parking on the way out from the Tronsen area is about 3/4ths of a mile north on 97 from the pass.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Was up there on Sunday XC style. This is the first time I've seen lots of other tracks up high. Had some good snow over there. Things got wet and heavy in the afternoon. Tired legs from contra dance and trail work plus icing up made it not one of my best days. My friends used skins but all I had was grip wax which worked most of the time. The Daytona 500 will keep the snowmos to a minimum, I think it's next weekend.

Slide show.

http://gallery.me.com/dave.schuldt#100077