making your own quickdraws?

beefcider

quote:

Originally posted by roger johnson:
"Friends" are a product of that era, "hippie-ass pieces of shit" you say? Try not to let your prejudices rule your life.

I'm trying not to be prejudice but I really find that show annoying and I just don't care that Joey has a crush on Jennifer.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are all despicable creatures. The chemicals used is making you synthetic mountain climbing equipment pollutes our mother earth and voilates our sister the streams and oceans of our beautiful mother. Let me call on all of you who call yourselves nature lovers to avoid the use of such synthetic murderers and use only hemp and organic cotton when venturing upon the sacred soil of our native American brethren and our mother earth. Please reform your ways.

quote:

Originally posted by Earth Mother:
You are all despicable creatures. The chemicals used is making you synthetic mountain climbing equipment pollutes our mother earth and voilates our sister the streams and oceans of our beautiful mother. Let me call on all of you who call yourselves nature lovers to avoid the use of such synthetic murderers and use only hemp and organic cotton when venturing upon the sacred soil of our native American brethren and our mother earth. Please reform your ways.

This is "Cascadeclimbers.com" not "Cascadeearthlovers.com" rolleyes.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

specialed & traddaddy:

I seem to have offended you with my irreverent reply to Earth Mother's post; this was not my intent. As a climber, and general outdoor's guy, I do what I can to respect the pristine nature of the areas I visit. My irreverence was in response to, in my opinion, an extreme opinion/statement.

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
you wanna melt spectra after you cut it?

HOTKNIFE!!

get the blowtorch out, get the knives redhot apply and SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. you dont wanna sniff that smoke though.

UH HUH. You have been sniffin smoke haven't you? Are you one of those hippie-ass guys like SpecialEd?

quote:

Originally posted by Earth Mother:

You've got to be kidding me. Do you own a car? Are you typing on an organic computer? Is the boot I would like to shove up your ass made of organic material? You are a pussy and a loser.

First of all, tying your slings isn't "hippie-ass shit". It's common sense to have some slings you can tie, even in the quick-draw length. Let's say you've got to bail off a bolted route in the rain. Do you really want to leave an expensive sewn sling or 'biner? Secondly, I've noticed a large number of climbers who attach a quick-draw to almost every piece they place, regardless of whether the route is weaving around, left to right, or whether they've placed pro under an overlap. That's a great way to create rope drag, or worse, your pieces (especially cams) may become destabilized by rope movement. I like to carry more slings than draws. It's amazing how much easier the crux is without a bunch of drag working against your every move.

Also, I like most of the rock hippies I meet. They are often less likely to make a mess at the crags in the name of "route development", and most of them seem to respect the idea that wilderness is worth protecting. About the only negative thing I can say is that the stinky beatnik oil is worse than their garlicky B.O., and occasionally the long hair gets me confused when I hike behind them.

beefcider,

I recommend you buy some books on knots and on general mountaineering to further educate yourself. I think Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills would be good choice. I still don't own it but sometimes it can be a good reference on various subjects. I bet John Long has a book out there now too but not sure. Oh yeah and making your own slings is fine. I have done it and will do it.

quote:

Originally posted by scott harpell:
cotton slings and hemp rope.... i said...i think the boy has a point.... what is the rating for 1 in. cotton tubular webbing nowadays anyway? 6 lbs? great thinking dumb-ass....

You will all die anyway when the earth is destroyed by over population, oil-greed, and polution. mad.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by pope:

...I've noticed a large number of climbers who attach a quick-draw to almost every piece they place, regardless of whether the route is weaving around, left to right, or whether they've placed pro under an overlap. That's a great way to create rope drag, or worse, your pieces (especially cams) may become destabilized by rope movement.

I think I'm misunderstanding you. You're saying draws clipped to pieces make them less stable and create rope drag? I doubt this is what your saying, but I'm still curious.

hey max,

I think the distinction he's making is between clipping pieces with quick-draws (shorter and sewn along the length between the 'biners) and clipping pieces with slings (longer, and the loop is left open)-- not between clipping the piece directly vs using any sort of sling/draw.

cool.gif" border="0 Hey bruthas! long time no talk. Just wanted to give y'all a heads up. I picked up mutha earth on tha' corner, up in the hilltop area last night. After much negotiation, we agreed upon oral pleasure in exchange for a pack o' GPC menthols and a can o' king cobra malt liqa'. Anyway, after the job was done (not bad I might add) I booted the ho' back out on her corner. Moments later I discovered skeeza' took my wallet! cool.gif" border="0

Pope, I was half-joking about the hippy shit. My old mans got this book called "Yosemite Climber" with a bunch of Bridwell-era dudes with long hair and bellbottoms styling burly shit in the valley. And of course, tied tubular webbing was the standard then. I just think its funny. I do also think tied slings are fairly obsolete. Of course its good to carry webbbing and cord of assorted length with you on multi-pitch climbs. But if thats all you use - you're way old school!

Actually the tied swami aint so bad. I used one occasionally even to the early 90's. (w/ leg loops usually) The Vertical Club even asked me not to use one in the gym.

I have come across one Cascadian's (who intitials his full length tied slings) slings at rappels from Colorado to Yosemite.

quote:

Originally posted by beefcider:
I've heard that using webbing and the water knot doesn't produce very reliable results and should only be used in a pinch.

Now I'm nervous about the reliability of tying in to my harness. Maybe I should get my harness sewn on to the end of the rope.