[TR] Chair Peak - NF 2/2/2010

Skatan

Trip: Chair Peak - NF

Date: 2/2/2010

Trip Report:

After talking to PU he came up with a great idea to head west for a few days CP NF and Flow Reversal (see ice forum) left CDA ID 5 AM booted in and did the NF it was in great shape & weather. One other party just ahead of us. 127_2733.JPG

Other party P1.

127_2736.JPG127_2738.JPG

PU up top

127_2748.JPG

Gear Notes:

Screws and picket

Approach Notes:

We booted skiing or boarding out would have been sweet.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for rock gear right now....this thing would take a screw anywhere. In the last 15 years I've never seen so much ice on this route.

For the aspiring alpinists out there you'll never find any better AI2 or any better conditions than right now.

And by noon today there is a heck of a boot pack in as well.

You know you want to. Go get some!

Wayne and Dane on the foggy, windy and cold NF :)

acm.sized.jpg

It was 50 degrees in the shade when i left home on Tiger mountain at 9:30 this morning and well below freezing when I started up the face a couple of hrs later.

Plenty of new wet snow there, saw loads of skiers at the "Thumb" last Sun (2/7).

Went alone on Dane's hint, was foggy and snowing the entire day - there were reportedly a party of 2 and another soloist ahead of me, and a party on the NE Butresss but by the time I was on top ~2:45PM there were no traces of any footprints. Also SAR was all over the mountain and left a pure staircase to the base by 1PM, but when I got down after 5PM, only hints of all those prints remained. Couldn't even butt-slide far.

ChairPeak_2010-02-07_008.jpg

These nice guys let me go ahead, thank you!!! See the tools, reminded me that Simpson's Eiger feaure, sans wool gloves :)

ChairPeak_2010-02-07_004.jpg