chimacum crag

nervedoc

I recently checked out the crag at chimacum (by Port Townsend), I was wodering if anyone new anything about what any of the routes go at. There appeared to be a fair varity of routes, I didn't have tome to try any out though! Oh yeah if anyone in that neck of the woods needs a partner let me know.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went there a couple times about 5 years ago but I'm sorry to say I don't remember a lot about it. I do remember a 5.7 route and a 5.9 route to the right of it that starts out with an overhang - at least that's what I was told were the ratings. I know there were more than that, but we pretty much focused on the 5.7 route for lil ol' me. I also remember you can climb up the back side with the help of a cable for a hand line and rappel down two pitches to the base. And I think most of the routes are two pitches. Also, there was nobody else there one time and only two other people the other time. (Can't remember, but it could have been midweek.) Sorry I'm not much help but I have been there.

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: moonchild ]

Nervedoc,

I climbed there about three years ago and found it to be a rather unappealing crag. That said:

There are a number of moderate routes on the wall with varried ratings. As has been stated before a number of these routes push two pitches.

Three years ago there was some access issues to the crag and we had to approach from a small lake nearby and drop down to the crag. I believe that the most simple approach crosses private property.

The guys at Olympic Mountaineering in Port Angeles can give you some decent beta on the routes and the approach that doesn't cross the private property.

Jason