Building rack

telemarker

I like Aliens a lot. I just don't know which color goes with which size so I wrote TCU. TCU's seem good and indestructible and are usually cheaper than Aliens, but Aliens just seem to stick wherever you set 'em. Mattp made a valid point about being able to shove in TCU's at the extent of your reach, where this would be more difficult with the Aliens.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what Curtsy-skier, er, I mean Telemarker said that he was going to be climbing mostly in places like the Icicle and crags, so don’t think weight’s a big consideration.

If I’m short on dough and can’t have 2 of everything, I’d prefer a different make for my dupe set rather than 2 sets of the same. Like a set of Wild Country + a set of BD over two sets of BD. I like them both at different times for different placements. Then again if you just stay indoors and climb you don’t need any of this shit and you’ll have more beer money

Ouch! Crusty skier!? Damn, you haven't seen my new telemark/alpine setup. I'll admit, I lock the heels to lay it out most the time. I have a homemade binding that lets me lock the heel if I wish, or tele, with just the flip of a switch. It works quite well and adds only a little extra weight. Wait, this is a cams thread...sorry.

Re: doubling up - If you already have .5 - 3.5 including the half sizes (1.5, 2.5, etc.) the expansion ranges on the camaots are good enough that you practically have doubled up on the 1 - 3.0 range. I'd add small cams.

Somebody asked why everybody prefers tcus to aliens, there was a thread earlier that was very long, and I think that actually, most prefer aliens. I know I do. Also, if you check out hte expansion ranges, there's almost no difference between them and the camalots.

Nonetheless, if you do want to double up in the larger sizes, go to a different (lighter and cheaper) maker I have one set of camalots and the others are trangos, which work great. I save the camalots for the end of the pitch when the rack is smaller and the extra expansion range is more helpful.

Contrary to the caveman, I think the .5 and .75 camalots are some of my favorite cams in the world. They fit a crack size that's a bit hard to jam (for me - big hands), they get used on every route, their bomber, silky smoothe and have a great range.

quote:

Originally posted by telemarker:[QB]Ouch! Crusty skier!? Damn.......QB]

No no....I said "Curtsy" not Crusty. You know as in bow, genuflect or kneel. I didn't mean to imply that you're not macho - afterall, you're from wenatchee!

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: Downhill ]

My 2 cents....

I've found you can't really go wrong with Metolius, BD cams #.5 through #5 and Aliens to the Red. I've had problems with the micro BD cams. They seem to walk and fix themselves very easily. HB and Trango cams seem to walk and fix themselves easy too. With Metolius they fit an extra 2 1/2 inch piece in between the 2 inch (blue) and 3 inch (Burgandy) pieces. Don't know much about the DMM cams.

For an Icicle rack I would have a set of nuts, set of TCU's (blue, yellow, orange) or Aliens (?blue, yellow, green) and cams either Met or BD .5 through 3. You could use a 3 1/2 or 4 inch piece here and there but nothing mandatory. Maybe double up on 1 & 2 inch pieces. I don't thing there is a need for a grey 00 Met cam. A purple 0 Met cam is nice here and there but still not needed. Thats my opinion. I also hate hexes which is my bias.

Hope this helps.