Climber's Trail Closure... WTF?

LostCamKenny

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm, there were early opens prior to your involvement... :ass:

And you expected WDFW to keep doing them after consistent closure breaches - guess what? They didn't. And they also didn't because windpower boom in the Gorge took off and monitoring Beacon ended up way down on the priority list of places to dedicate resources. Last year WDFW started to spin up a new guy in the Vancouver office to learn to do some of the monitoring, but in the several years before that I've been filling the void.

And you expected WDFW to keep doing them after consistent closure breaches - guess what? They didn't. And they also didn't because windpower boom in the Gorge took off and monitoring Beacon ended up way down on the priority list of places to dedicate resources. Last year WDFW started to spin up a new guy in the Vancouver office to learn to do some of the monitoring, but in the several years before that I've been filling the void.

ummm, yes i was one of the breachers and yes there were still early openings.....

bravo, joe... bravo. does yer arm hurt now after patting yer back like that?

But the whole 'Man' thing is so much complete and utter bullshit

... and yet you continue to bring it up here. hmmmm...

yeh i do believe jh brought up th whole '"MAN" thing...

Yeah, that's because I have to listen to the ceasely whining by Beacon locals that reaches a screeching crescendo about this time each year like clockwork. An endless ocean of whining by a bunch of folks can't be trouble to do anything else about it. Yeah the man really dishes it out alright...

But the whole 'Man' thing is so much complete and utter bullshit

... and yet you continue to bring it up here. hmmmm...

yeh i do believe jh brought up th whole '"MAN" thing...

Yeah, that's because I have to listen to the ceasely whining by Beacon locals that reaches a screeching crescendo about this time each year like clockwork. An endless ocean of whining by a bunch of folks can't be trouble to do anything else about it. Yeah the man really dishes it out alright...

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

and you think the rangers just love you.... don't you?

No, they don't - I'm just business to them, but I am the only member of the flea circus that actually communicates with them on any regular basis and they work with that as it's the only steady interaction they have with any climbers.

No, they don't - I'm just business to them, but I am the only member of the flea circus that actually communicates with them on any regular basis and they work with that as it's the only steady interaction they have with any climbers.

josph, you have a way with words but not with people....

haha nothing new here. i wish i could be as passionate about this as i used to but i feel like this is the same argument that we were fighting in 04, 05...

nothing seems to ever change. the rock always closes and at best opens a little early. it's not that i don't appreciate the work that people do but nothing changes anyway.

i should be in denver in the next month andrew so we'll have to meet up.

haha nothing new here. i wish i could be passionate about this like i used to but i feel like this is the same argument that we we're fighting in 04, 05...

nothing seems to ever change. the rock always closes and at best opens a little early. it's not that i don't appreciate the work that people do but nothing changes anyway.

i should be in denver in the next month andrew so we'll have to meet up.

cool... give me a heads up. not as easy as kit used to b to blow off work.

No shit - that's why it would be great if some of the folks who are would quit whining and step up...

when you channel your energy joseph, you are unstoppable. sometimes i think you just get a little to excited about some of the details. don't hear me wrong either, i'm not taking a shot at you. i appreciate what you have done and what you have tried to do; however, clearly everyone just doesn't seem to agree with you.

now that i'm in new york indefinitely, i try to stay out of these arguments as i can't climb there now anyway, though my passion and zest for the place is not likely to die. i became a climber there and also climbed my first new route there which went on to define the climbing i would almost exclusively want to do.

JH. You rapped into big ledge with a bag of gravel to make the birds nest more comfortable? This is what I am talking about. We don’t want the birds to nest at Beacon. This point may be the difference between you and the rest of the climbers at Beacon. Everybody wants the birds to secede, just not at Beacon. Please let the park rangers do their job. Don’t offer yourself anymore. Maybe….just maybe the birds will become uncomfortable and leave Beacon altogether.

If the rangers don’t have the ability to rap into big ledge….so be it.

we're gettin waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off track, here, and crap... i got caught up in it!

joe, the purpose of my original post was not to stir up any troublemaking or any of that sort of monkeybusiness as you kind of alluded to earlier. rather, it was to get awareness out to anyone who cared (other than those of us who are here "bitching" about this matter) that there was an avenue that could be taken to let the BRSP officials know that this bothers (some) of us. i am not taking a back seat here and my intentions are not self-serving. i love to climb, and i love to climb at beacon and as such i am going to put up a bit of a stand for that pleasure. yes, i do work for the agency that closes the south side of the rock every year (i also work for ODFW, which has no interest in the falcons at BR), but my stance as a climber is so strong that it takes precedence over my livelihood, since, in fact, i am in the fish division and not he wildlife division.

joe, you should not take any of my remarks as a personal attack on you or what you have done. you have done things and put in time that few others would make room for in their schedules. you hold a passion for climbing, in general, that few have, and watching you climb is both fun and inspiring. this is not to say that i have to agree with you on your ideas concerning the BR climbing closure or the trail closure, because i certainly DO NOT. your efforts, which i'm sure you feel are helping the climbers, are actually not necessarily representing ALL the climbers who feel as passionately about climbing at beacon as you do. this is where the whole shitstorm begins: you feel like you are doing right so you continue, and when it comes out, your good intentions look strangely like actions of "the man." working with the rangers and working with the DFW doesn't mean that you have to ignore what you (as a climber) believe... i love being a part of my professional organization and i'm not going to quit just because i have another side that conflicts with it - i make the two co-exist and when i go to work i am all business.

you are a friend, joe, and i wish that you could recognize that and work for WHAT YOUR FRIENDS are actually asking for, rather than for what the rangers and, yes my agency, are telling you is policy.

thanks to all who gave attention to this, and mark, those pics look pretty sweet! no rangers down there? no falcons? i need to go see that place...!

:wave:

nate, if you really feel no connection - or such a little connection - to your other brothers or the rope, then that's fine... don't stand up for yourself and just let them walk all over you. clearly you do not have the connection to beacon rock that myself and others have - what a pity.

Yikes, I sound like such a jerk on the internet. I was trying to add a bit of humor to a conversation that is WAY too serious. Were talking about Beacon Rock right and not El Cap?

Kidding aside, it is a bit silly to close that one section of trail when that whole area is crawling with trails, fences, railings etc. Worth losing sleep over and screaming about? Probably not. If that trail has a special meaning for you and the lack of access is truly ruining your life, do what you need to do. I love eating candy, if the "man" outlawed candy I'd still eat it and not feel one bit guilty. Ok bad example, but I've been eating corn candy all day and yumm! I can't recommend breaking park rules as it jeopardizes access for us all, but I'd be lying if I said I've never broken a park rule that I viewed as "silly." ( I slept in my car in the Valley once, oops)

As for this trail. It is actually a nice Winter hike down there, but I'm OK if they close the trail during the off-season in an effort to limit our impact. There are plenty of other trails that I would gladly hike if it helped keep Beacon open for climbers during the summer. I still think that for access sensitive areas, the best thing we can do as climbers is to keep a low profile and try to be invisible. Cutting back brush and encouraging people to be down there doesn't count as low profile.

(Side note) Do we really want non-climbers around the base of Beacon? I get a bit nervous of having my pack stolen when I see rednecks from Camas wondering around the base of the wall while I'm up climbing. I'd be stoked if the climbers trail was hard to find to discourage hikers from going in there.

-Nate

goddamn can the columbia river gorge forum area just be a sub area inside of spray???????

Spray usually has alot of one liners. Notice we have full paragraphs here. We are trying to have a discussion about something we are all passionate about. Now if those damn birds would just DIE!!!!!

No shit - that's why it would be great if some of the folks who are would quit whining and step up...

Joe, I'm offering to "step-up" just not sure what is needed.

I've sent emails to some of you folks concerning this being revisited. Can we all take a cleansing breath now? BW, sadly, the late Jim Anglin isn't here now, but if he was, he'd say what he said 4 years ago during the last Beacon shit storm (he lived right down the way in White Salmon then).

you people need a ROAD TRIP!

road-trip.jpg

to remember places like Yosemite, Cochise, Joshua Tree....