Climber's Trail Closure... WTF?

LostCamKenny

So today is the day that the will of the BRSP Rangers is imposed on us. As was the case last year, the trail to the base of the rock on the south side has been closed. Let me say that again - the trail to the base of the rock is closed - to hiking or anything else! What the heck for? the signs say for resource protection, but anyone who has been down that trail even once knows that there aren't any rare plant or animal species on the trail that need this kind of protection. The trail is closed for reasons that only the rangers can give - probably because they think that closing the trail will deter climbers from trying to climb when it is closed.

Whatever the reason, it must be understood that this is truly unacceptable. Climbers, as a user group of the state park, are being discriminated against with this kind of policy imposition and this business of closing the trail, even for hiking, is not the end. If people (climbers) do not speak up and express how wrong this is then the situation will just continue to get worse, possibly with the climbing closure being extended. If you care about climbing at beacon rock in the least then it is in your interest to call the head ranger, erik plunkett at 509-427-8265, and voice your feelings about this. the only way things will ever be different is if we stand together as a group and make a single voice united against such a terrible policy. seriously, closing the rock to climbing is bad enough... does it make sense that we can't even go hike along the trail to the base and just admire the rock that many of us love so much?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crag is closed so it makes sense that the climbers trail is closed as well. Why would you want to hike down there if you couldn't climb? Do you want to encourage non-climbers to hike around the base of the wall? Keeping a low profile is important for access restricted areas (like Beacon) Needlessly hiking around the base of walls and calling up the Ranger to pester him about the sign does not count as "low profile"

If you really need go down there during the Winter to help visualize the moves for your SE Corner red point attempt, do so in a quiet manner. Calling the ranger to complain does not help matters.

-Nate

Edited by eldiente

being told merely to break inconvenient (and unnecessary) laws is hardly good advice though - yes, people shouldn't violate the closure, but simply closing the trail (espeically when this time of year, w/ all the brush dormant, you can actually do a COOL circumnav of the monolith which requuires the use of the trail) is tantamount to saying "we dont' have enough cops or funds to pay for more cops to watch this county road for speeders, so we'll just close it for half the year"

and yes, walking around the base w/ your young kids (like dave and i and probably kev too) is quite cool, espeically when you bring headlamps for them to explore the tunnels!

The crag is closed so it makes sense that the climbers trail is closed as well. Why would you want to hike down there if you couldn't climb? Do you want to encourage non-climbers to hike around the base of the wall? Keeping a low profile is important for access restricted areas (like Beacon) Needlessly hiking around the base of walls and calling up the Ranger to pester him about the sign does not count as "low profile"

If you really need go down there during the Winter to help visualize the moves for your SE Corner red point attempt, do so in a quiet manner. Calling the ranger to complain does not help matters.

-Nate

yeah, it's gonna take me the next 6 months to get the moves from the pin up to snag ledge down... hopefully i'll get it down before this coming july.

quite the contrary to what you said about encouraging climbers and non-climbers to "hang out" down there, it would be very beneficial to have the trail open for many reasons.

First of all, if someone really wants to go and climb that stupid sign and wood gate isn't going to stop them. but if the trail were open then those of us who are honest climbers and good stewards of the rock can inform would-be offenders when we are hiking down there. yes, it is a trail and it is hiked... by climbers... who just want to go and marvel at what is so beautiful.

Second, maintaining the trail should be the responsibility of those who use it the most - the climbers. if it is closed then there can't be any maintenance. clipping back bushes to keep them from becoming overgrown, clearing loose rock, and there is always trash from the actual hiker's trail that is floating down and needs to be picked up - these are things that can be done by climbers FOR the park. and what's wrong with non-climbers going down there to hang out? it is a cool trail that shows a view of the rock that is staggering to the non-climber, especially if they've never seen it before.

nate, if you really feel no connection - or such a little connection - to your other brothers or the rope, then that's fine... don't stand up for yourself and just let them walk all over you. clearly you do not have the connection to beacon rock that myself and others have - what a pity.

Discussions did take place and a decision has been made that isn't going to change. I posted the principal reasons why on the 'Beacon' thread.

Kenny, dude - once again, you are the MAN - you work for WDFW - you know, the guys who close the rock to climbing every year. And you're a WA state government employee. You may be a climber, but if a guy who works for WDFW can't figure out the rules, regs, 'game', and the 'system' well enough to understand what's going on then it doesn't bode well for climbers. Your ranting isn't terribly effective, fact-laden, or ring particularly true when it comes to "honest climbers" and "good stewards" when closure breaches continue and locals are intent on steadfastly maintaining a hostile, antagonistic, and strictly uncooperative stance with any and all managing authorities at Beacon.

Discussions did take place and a decision has been made that isn't going to change. I posted the principal reasons why on the 'Beacon' thread.

Kenny, dude - once again, you are the MAN - you work for WDFW - you know, the guys who close the rock to climbing every year. And you're a WA state government employee. You may be a climber, but if a guy who works for WDFW can't figure out the rules, regs, 'game', and the 'system' well enough to understand what's going on then it doesn't bode well for climbers. Your ranting isn't terribly effective, fact-laden, or ring particularly true when it comes to "honest climbers" and "good stewards" when closure breaches continue and locals are intent on steadfastly maintaining a hostile, antagonistic, and strictly uncooperative stance with any and all managing authorities at Beacon.

of course, b/c they consult me on these matters...

so you're a honest to good steward joseph??? why don't you go find your own wall and shit all over it cause i never ever hear anybody that honestly knows you say anything good about you... NEVER DO I EVER. go away JH. you won't be missed.

and apparently, joe you are the man, since you know soooo much about what is going on... i'd ask you to enlighten us all but no one wants to hear that anymore than they want to hear my "rants." and really all you do is work for the rangers - tellin em anything they want to know no matter how it affects climbers. how is that helping anything? you'd turn in yer own mother if she climbed outta season, huh?

and apparently, joe you are the man, since you know soooo much about what is going on... i'd ask you to enlighten us all but no one wants to hear that anymore than they want to hear my "rants." and really all you do is work for the rangers - tellin em anything they want to know no matter how it affects climbers. how is that helping anything? you'd turn in yer own mother if she climbed outta season, huh?

no, he'd hang her with a double gear sling from a half inch bolt...

... closure breaches ...

the only closure breach that i am aware of is when you went down to big ledge last year with a bag of pea gravel to make a nice comfy bed for the falcons - how natural for the birds... i bet they loved that :rolleyes:

There was no breach - that work was authorized by both the BRSP and your department and is part of the deal - we get early opens and they get the eyrie checked and cleaned up at the end and start of every closure. I don't decide what gets done, I do it as part of a cooperative relationship with YOUR agency. How about you fucking manning up, stop whining, and actually be a biologist for a few hours so I don't have to do this shit in order to have the possibility of early opens.

... closure breaches ...

the only closure breach that i am aware of is when you went down to big ledge last year with a bag of pea gravel to make a nice comfy bed for the falcons - how natural for the birds... i bet they loved that :rolleyes:

There was no breach - that work was authorized by both the BRSP and your department and is part of the deal - we get early opens and they get the eyrie checked and cleaned up at the end and start of every closure. I don't decide what gets done, I do it as part of a cooperative relationship with YOUR agency. How about you fucking manning up, stop whining, and actually be a biologist for a few hours so I don't have to do this shit in order to have the possibility of early opens.

ummm, there were early opens prior to your involvement... :ass:

then why are you posing for the man, joe? you don't fight for us... you enforce for them... you're just as much a part of the man's machine as i am, at least that's the way you march around when you're out there. why don't we switch roles for a while, huh? i'll be the up tight, insomniac, mega-ego, packageboy for the rangers and you go take care of the biological/DFW side...

then why are you posing for the man, joe? you don't fight for us... you enforce for them... you're just as much a part of the man's machine as i am, at least that's the way you march around when you're out there. why don't we switch roles for a while, huh? i'll be the up tight, insomniac, mega-ego, packageboy for the rangers and you go take care of the biological/DFW side...

No posing going on at all - I'm entirely self-interested in wanting to climb every day I can out at Beacon. Any day any of you guys want to step up for more climbing at Beacon instead of bitching and whining are free to do so. But the whole 'Man' thing is so much complete and utter bullshit - not that you guys would have an emotional life without 'the man' to pin all of life's woes on. And taking it to the ultimate - working for 'the man' while railing against him - gotta admire that. So much easier and more productive than actually being smart and working from within your own agency to help climbers out in all this.