[TR] Dwindling Bluewood and Ellensburg ice - Bluewood and Ellensburg 1/30/2010

pac man

Trip: Dwindling Bluewood and Ellensburg ice - Bluewood and Ellensburg

Date: 1/30/2010

Trip Report:

We went out searching for whatever ice was left so that we could swing our tools before a trip to Ouray. We found that the "high mass" ice flows of Bluewood and Ellensburg did survive the recent high temperatures, but they were definitely the smallest I have seen them and parts of them were highly suspect.

On Saturday we climbed a short WI2-3 at Bluewood and did some laps. Our climb, and the only climb on the main wall I was willing to lead with the conditions, goes up right next to the branch found at the top center of the picture.

Bluewood2.JPG

Then I convinced the wife to take the sharp end and lead a short low-angle WI2 on the far right side of the ice flow.

Bluewood1.JPG

Being hopeful, on Sunday we headed to Umptanum Falls but did not like that the main snow fed drip did not touch down and we suspected that the ice had little bond to the rock.

Umptanum2.JPG

Since we were already there, we climbed the short gully between the snow fed drip and the main falls, which is definitely not worth the drive or hike.

Umptanum3.JPG

All in all, as expected it wasn't a stellar weekend of ice, but with low enough standards, we found something.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic