• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
paul_tikusis

olympia area climbing?

hello. there's a good possiblity that i may be living in olympia over the summer. is there any good rock climbing in the area? i really dig trad climbing, but anything would be good, as long as it's somewhat close. i'm excited about climbing in the cascades and squamish, but i realize their pretty far from olympia. but hey, if anyone knows of any jobs i can land in the cascade range area, let me know!

thanks!

a grateful southern illinois climber

paul tikusis

The closest thing you will get to climbing in Olympia is the concrete buildings out at the Evergreen State College. Closest real climbing is Fossil Rock. It will take you 1-1/2 hours to get there from Olympia including mt. bike in.

"i really dig trad climbing""closest real climbing is Fossil Rock"

shocked.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0

there is a couplw of cracks there and some real nice looking adbventure on the main wall behind the crag.......route recommondation: go to index.........

There are some crack climbs on the buildings at the Evergreen campus, too, but for "trad" climbing, I think the extra drive to Tieton would more than pay off as compared with going to Fossil. What would that be, two 1/2 hours? Index 3, and Leavenworth 3 1/2?

By the way, Paul, Olympia is a nice place to spend the summer. Enjoy.

Beacon Rock is also within that range (3 hrs?) but the bird closures will be in effect at least part of the summer.

There's a crag in Tenino, about 12 miles South of Olympia. Sandstone, sport & toprope, up to 75 feet high. There's a couple 5.10's and then up from there. Private property. P-mail me if you need access info.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:
There's a crag in Tenino, about 12 miles South of Olympia. Sandstone, sport & toprope, up to 75 feet high. There's a couple 5.10's and then up from there. Private property. P-mail me if you need access info.

in the past i heard about some rock out on the shores of skoocumchuck resivoir....ever been there???

The area at the back of Skookumchuck Reservoir is no more, it became an active quarry again, and they're hauling lots of rock out of there. Turns out it is some variety of Granite, considered the hardest stone in the state. Some of the chunks go down the road through Tenino, a single stone on a lowboy semi trailer. Oooh, to have a round dozen of those and build a bouldering garden...