Commuter Bike: Hybrid vs Cyclocross vs Touring?

Bronco

I have the Baron Nightingale (cross bike). I have yet to try commuting or touring with it but I did have Geoff build the frame so it can take a rack. But like he mentioned, I also haven't been able to bring myself to actually put one on it. I've been riding the bike a lot more lately because I'm training to do the STP, and I find that I don't generally use the drops when I'm going slow or around much traffic. (But otherwise, I'm really happy they are there.) I also had Geoff build mine with canti brakes in case I want to race. Coming from a full-suspension MTB with dual hydraulic Hayes, I have to say that the Pauls actually work pretty awesome. Hope to try it for a commute or two in the not-too-distant future but the thought of riding through Bellevue isn't very appealing.

Loving my bike, though. :tup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Ok, ready to shop for clipless pedals and shoes. I've never had more than the toe cage so I'm just really trying to get educated. The Crank Bros Candy eggbeaters seem like a no brainer for a cheap pedal and allowing me to use commuter friendly shoe in case I need to do some walking. Any feedback would be great.

[img:center]http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerife-News-Cycling-Blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/crank-bros-candy-mtb-pedals.jpg[/img]

I had a squirrel run out in front of me this morning and couldn't dodge him with a car passing on my left. The feeling reminded me of a dog that ran out in front of my motorcyle once in the dark a few years ago. Glad to not have wrecked but sorry for the animal. Guess it wasn't his day...

I run eggbeaters on my mtb and cross bike. I think they work great. and they're cheap (if your just rying out the clipless scene).

People complain that they break easily, but only if you hit them hard on rocks or curbs.

And they shed mud way better than any other clipless pedals.

If you're convinced you're going with clipless, splurge for the model you can overhaul. A small kit gets you new bushings and bearings for.... $20? They will wear out after several years.

I have the Crank Bros Acid 2 pedals on my Baron. They have been a great first clipless pedal for me. They have a large platform and I can ride my bike with flip flops if I want. I can also clip in a lot faster than my boyfriend can in his Shimanos and he's been riding bikes in a professional capacity for more than 10 years. And if I miss the first attempt on clipping in from a stoplight to get through an intersection, I can easily pedal through and just re-try on the other side.

Haven't seen the Candys in person to compare the platform size.

I'm actually almost ready to buy some lighter-weight Eggbeaters to replace the Acids (and will then likely move the Acids to my mountain bike).

Crank Bros just came out with a whole new generation of pedals that are supposed to have longer lasting bearings... you can find the old ones on clearance a lot of places at the moment.

However I just switched my mountain bike over to time atak aliums after having some retention issues with my egg beaters while bunny hoping etc... They are kind of a beefed up candy...similar design but each rail gets its own spring, i like them so far the only drawbacks being weight and less float and i'll probably switch my commuter over as well next pay check.

This means I have a pair of eggbeaters (the old style c's i think...) in decent condition if anybody wants to make an offer...I'd throw in a pair of beat up crank brothers smarties (their POS commuter clipples) and a couple of pairs of worn out cleats if you want them.

• 3 months later...

The cheap eggbeaters will wear out quickly if you used them for cross or in muddy conditions. I had a pair that lasted about two races.

I switched to the candy 2's and have been happy with them Shimano SPD's are definately one of the more durable as are the times. I have some of both that have lasted a long time (10+ years) but I haven't found anything that beats the candy's for cross racing.

Chilly ride this morning. Might have to pick up some shoe covers things.

Do NOT do this. You will immediately be recognized as a weakling by other riders. Or worse yet, a road weenie.

Does this mean I shoud get some real riding shorts and stop wearing my wife's spanks? :lmao:

• 3 weeks later...

One year of bike commuting -

1500 miles (shooting for 2000 this year)

200 days of riding

$850 saved from not driving

$850 spent on bike & gear (maybe next year I can save some)

8 lb lighter

0 close calls with automobiles

That awful smell was traced to the padding in my helmet :shock:

One year of bike commuting -

1500 miles (shooting for 2000 this year)

200 days of riding

$850 saved from not driving

$850 spent on bike & gear (maybe next year I can save some)

8 lb lighter

0 close calls with automobiles

That awful smell was traced to the padding in my helmet :shock:

:rocken:

4,220 mi commuting this year so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Mountain bikes are for the mountains. They don't work well on paved roads.

Caliper brakes are fine.

Pedaling upwind is a good time to get down on the drops.

Quality is over-rated. You no longer need to pay a Vincenza craftsman a living wage (in Euros) to spend a day polishing your bike components using hand tools.

Modern manufacturing and Chinese slave laborers can turn out a perfectly functional machine at a tenth of the cost of the olden days. The product won't be beautiful or cool, or aesthetically satisfying, but will be functionally equal or superior to finest bikes of a few years ago.

To carry any significant weight, racks are required for comfort and safety. I no longer do so, and limit myself to a small belt pack.

Best deals on crappy Chinese bikes I know of are at Bikesdirect.com

I recently purchased a "Windsor" single-speed for $269 shipping included. Same bike with different "brand" decals, handle bars and some color-adonized parts goes for $780 at my local shop. Shop owner am sure just wants to make a living and send his kids to college, but good luck!!

Chilly ride this morning. Might have to pick up some shoe covers things.

Do NOT do this. You will immediately be recognized as a weakling by other riders. Or worse yet, a road weenie.

:rolleyes:

I use shoe covers if it's less than 50 degrees outside: protects my injury-prone achilles tendon and keeps my toes warm. Knee warmers if it's less than 55 to protect the knees. Then again I'm a roadie talking about 3-4 hour training rides, wearing the racing kit with ads on it...don't give me too much crap, I actually race!

For muscle imbalance, I think a few days a week at the rock gym and some core strengthening does it for me, plus the occasional hike or ski. Some people lift weights but I get bored with that.

I use neoprene socks. Useful for several other purposes also. VBLS also worth thinking of.........

As for pedals, I've used this for ten years.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175537_-1_201502_10000_200435

Sometimes available on sale for $20.... People sometimes prefer $200-plus variations and I credit their accounts!!