unroped on a glacier?

Norman_Clyde

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I have self arrested falls and I have unroped on many glaciers. Conditions usually permit when and how much of it I do.... Just give them a wide berth and be smart about when you decide to do it.

Amen, Brother. Know the conditions as best you can and be smart. What's more dangerous, a solo up Liberty Ridge or an inexperienced ropemate among the DC cattle drive?

Here's a question: Did anyone really teach you to read surface ice/snow, suspect areas, or did you come about this the old fashioned way?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ...big Fella, your swell too. I know I said I was done with it but a friend wants to do it on the 8th /9th of Sept. There are 4 of us and it should be a good workout and who knows maybe even fun. Yes you know what I am talking about THE D.C. wanna go like to finally meet you and see if you can actually walk uphill that far

Thanks for the invite but no thanks. I was on Ptarmigan Ridge yesterday and on the way out from Camp Kaiser I thought my knees were going to explode. They're fucking shot. I think I'd better be thinking up another new hobby. Maybe we can meet someday at a Pube Club or something...I'll be the one in a wheelchair. [laf] Seriously Dan, thanks for asking. [big Drink]

[ 08-25-2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: trask ]

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:

The Mountaineers are going to mad at you guys. Tisk tisk tisk.
[laf][big Drink]

Hey, I was with the Mounties on the Eldorado Glacier and the Sahale Glacier and we didn't rope up.

As for some recent trips that come to mind, we didn't rope up on the Triumph Glacier, but we sure did rope up for the Challenger Glacier.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Yngve:

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:

The Mountaineers are going to mad at you guys. Tisk tisk tisk.
[laf][big Drink]

Hey, I was with the Mounties on the Eldorado Glacier and the Sahale Glacier and we didn't rope up.

As for some recent trips that come to mind, we didn't rope up on the Triumph Glacier, but we sure did rope up for the Challenger Glacier.

you shoulda got injured so you could sue 'em! [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

It is the way of things. The question is when the topic will turn to bolts and how they are the work of satan.

Mmmmm, that could explain the evil voice I heard as I went to clip the 13th bolt the other day at Vantage. I knew something was wrong when my draw turned into a snake as soon as I clipped it. Fortunately for me the Croc Hunter was nearby and rapped down and "took that naughty bloak" away. It's all starting to make sense now.

"Exorcise" before climbing sport routes! [laf][laf]

Craig

[ 08-29-2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: CraigA ]

• 2 years later...
i rope up when necessary, probably about 75% of the time on glaciers. in spring/early summer it really isnt necessary. i descended the whole fisher chimneys route from summit in july once without roping up. following a beaten trail with no punch throughs. tongue.gif" border="0

How did you make it down Winnie's Slide?

• 1 year later...
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CraigA:

<strong>How does this topic keep getting revived?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is the way of things. The question is when the topic will turn to bolts and how they are the work of satan.

They are indeed the work of satan.

and the croc hunter is dead now. frown.gif