Confidence Building Snow Climbs

Braydon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braydon,

I guess I should ask you to describe what you think is "steep snow". Just asking; for some of us, that's 55 degrees, for others, 35, and everything in between. It's ok if 40 degrees seems steep to you. As always, it's much easier to climb up everything than it is to go down.

Regarding the NBC of Colchuck, "pup on the mountain" made a good point. Climbs such as these can vary from season to season. When I was on that climb, it was no more than 45 degrees, with maybe a slightly steeper bulge. Our group never got the rope out.

In a thinner year, things can be "sportier" with interesting bergschrunds to boot. I believe I've seen you posting in the ice sections here, my guess is that this will be a relatively short hurdle for you, if you're getting after it.

Even though goatboy had an interesting point about Leuthold Couloir (mainly that it still entailed the same downclimb of the SS of Hood that you didn't thoroughly enjoy), it truly is a non-stressful climb that is never too steep, provided you pick a day that is not too warm and that you leave early enough (but this applies to all "steep" snow climbs) so that you are above the hourglass and cruising to the summit in the early morning sunrise.

Getting down 35-40 degree slopes on a day with an early alpine start, with a cold forecast, can be perfectly fine (read: leaving early enough to not sweat the descent). Don't go by yourself (at least for the first time), pick a good forecast/route to to it, and don't be afraid to bring a second tool. Above all, TAKE YOUR TIME after the summit, and don't be afraid to turn around, we all have. Come back safe, that's the most important part.

Above all, remember that all of us have had to sweat out a downclimb at some point in the mountains, and no one wakes up and says "I can't wait to downclimb that slope after the top". And if they do say that, they're either lying or haven't been at it long enough.