Round the World Trip Advice

My girlfriend and I are planning a 3-4 month trip travelling across the globe. We are looking at sport climbing in Thailand, Turkey, and Greece and trekking in Nepal. We are looking for suggestions for other places, as well as info about these listed. Has anyone made a similar trip or climbed in these areas? What is not to be missed?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)With increased luggage restrictions it may be cheaper to do several trips from the US -> Wherever you want to go. For example - get a RT ticket to Istambul, then a cheap flight to greece. Do the same to BKK & get a ticket to KTM. It will probably cost the same, or less, to do it this way and allow you more flexibility with changes. If you fly a non-US airline much more flexibility with changes (i.e. I've flown Singapore, China Airlines and EVA and been able to change the return date without paying anything on all of those)

2)Nepalese trekking isn't as cool as it was. i.e. the Annapurna circuit almost entirely paralells a road :( Research some of the alternate treks; getting maps/logistics can be much more of a pain in the ass

3) Other places - what do you want to do and what time of year are you going? The alps are awesome, so are the andes, so is SEAsia, Australia + NZ, Sri Lanka + India, Central Asia, China....

4) TAKE MORE TIME AND ENJOY YOURSELF!

If you start in BKK there are about the cheapest air tickets in the world there. Getting to KTM won't be difficult. However, this seat of the pants approach will necessitate some serious flexibility.

If you opt for the round the world option those can also be purchased on the cheap in Bangkok.

Cuba has a whole province of unclimbed limestone rock in the Vinales area. Bit of an easier flight too....sorta.

Thanks for the info. We've been thinking about flights on the fly vs a Round the World ticket. It seems for the most flexibility and about the same price, buying them on the fly will be cheapest. We might confirm the flight home from Athens now though? I dunno. With all the gear (hot and cold weather, rope and draws, clothes, etc) I think we won't pack a tent or sleeping bag. I would assume a bag is easy to pick up for cheap in Nepal before a trek? Does anyone have any trek recommendations? I would love to do a smaller/easier climb that doesn't require too many logistics if anyone knows of any?

Thanks.

Kathmandu has gear shops galore. Depending on what type of winter peak you're going for it ranges from cheap knock off, to mediocre knock off, to original NF, Mountain Hardware, etc.

Depending on how many stops you're taking the flights can become expensive. If you used the RTW to get you to and from continents, you could use cheap carriers like AirAsia, RyanAir etc to bounce around. Then hop back on the RTW ticket for the long hauls.

Depending on your skill Island Peak is a pretty easy climb for which you'll need basic crevasse rescue, cramp on's, etc. It provides a phenomenal view of the Khumbu valley. However, that means you're doing the Everest Base Camp trek and it's probably isn't the most majestic outing in Nepal. That being said, the locals are fantastic, the Momo's awesome, and the outdoor adventure incredible (and cheap!)

Thanks for the advice. We're definately bringing too much already with the very different climates we will see. I think we will focus on sport climbs as being the priority in most stops with the exception of Nepal. There we will look into renting boots and cramps for some easy-moderate hiking/climbing. Then we don't have to lug them around the whole time! We'll take a look at Island. I think that is a good suggestion. Thanks.

It's not sport but bouldering - check out Hampi, India. Tons of boulders, cheap relaxed atmosphere.

I've trekked in Langtang and Annapurna, Nepal. With the addition of Everest basecamp those are the only regions with teahouses for the "classic" Nepal trekking experience. Everywhere else will likely require a tent at some point and probably a stove and carrying food. For the teahouse treks you can get by with a down jacket, shell jacket + pants, sleeping bag and cash. I cary these everywhere I go in the world. If you don't bring them all of those you can buy in Nepal. Good quality stuff will cost the same at does at home. The cheap shit is cheap; rental boots are blister mongers. Most of the teahouse treks could be done without a sleeping bag - but everyone I met who did this ended up with tons of bedbug bits.

When are you planning to do this? If it's not good, clear, weather trekking in Nepal is less than optimum; half of why you are there is good clean views of 8000m peaks May-October doesn't provide this. During that time there are awesome things to do in India, Pakistan, China or Central Asia (kyrgyzstan/kazakhstan) those are the places that you are more likely to find what you are looking for