Some newb ?'s

justin_kaya

So I'm very new to climbing. Basically know nothing i guess. Anyway I hike and backpack a ton so I'm comfortable in the outdoors but ready to take it to the next level.

So I'm enrolled in the Mazamas Basic class. I figured that was a good place to start??

I'm going to do Mt hood in the spring going up the south side. The question I have are what are some good guide books and what are some other good climbs after hood for a beginer?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

justin

i, like you, had plenty of hiking and outdoors experience but after moving to the west from the flatlands of the midwest, felt I had no business 'learning on the fly/youtube' about ice ax use and the likes. i didn't have a friend to mentor in it either so the BCEP class made great sense. A ton of it will be irritating though if you're a solid backpacker that has your shit in order. You will learn some tips and stuff, but until you do some snow and rock practice, a lot of it is not going to be terribly valuable for you. i think one of the biggest values of BCEP is the networking and opportunity to make climbing partners through the class, which is what I was fortunate to have happen.

do south side a time or two and get some idea of it, then leuthold's coulior on hood is good. I think all 3 sisters can be a good challenge, (when south and middle are all snow) to develop more snow experience. other, more experienced folks can probably give better details.

climbing the cascade volcanos by Jeff Smoot seemed decent.

Where abouts do you live? Are you looking to do some alpine rock climbing also? I like Mt. Adams, Ruth, Rainier DC, Baker Coleman-Demming, and Eldorado East Ridge for snow/glacier climbs for gaining experience. For alpine rock I like Ingalls, South Early Winters Spire, the Tooth, etc. I hope you can hook up with a more experienced partner to learn and enjoy the mountains with.

Where abouts do you live? Are you looking to do some alpine rock climbing also? I like Mt. Adams, Ruth, Rainier DC, Baker Coleman-Demming, and Eldorado East Ridge for snow/glacier climbs for gaining experience. For alpine rock I like Ingalls, South Early Winters Spire, the Tooth, etc. I hope you can hook up with a more experienced partner to learn and enjoy the mountains with.

I live in Vancouver WA. Yes, I would like to at some point down the road know enough to do Apline rock climbing.

Post here a lot and you will learn everything you need.

The simple act of posting here has increased my climbing ability from 5.5 to 5.6.

I hope to try trad climbing next year.

In short, don't get wrapped up in spray and don't let sprayers derail you on this site. There are a lot of great people who will go out with you. Be very honest about what you know etc.

Post TR's so people get to know you a little more. Keep getting out and keep getting out.

I didn't know what to expect on my first Hood climb last spring. I learned a couple of things... Next time I climb I will try everything in my power to take up my skis as walking down that mountain is pretty silly. It's very skiable terrain assuming snow conditions aren't heinous. You going with a group may prevent you from such a luxury but if it's an option and you have the skills...the terrain from Hogsback down is pretty chill.

Take music...it's a long walk. Something to distract you from your breathing will be good.

If you are in decent cardiovascular shape and can just put one foot in front of the other, you're already 96.73% of the way there. Getting some beta on ice ax/crampon use is good, including practicing self arrest.

Tons more to ramble about but you have a bit of time before you climb. I'm sure you'll ask more questions as you go along.

Steve

I was in the same boat last summer. Totally new to climbing. My daughter and I hired a guide, just for the two of us, and went part way up Adams and had him school us in ice axes, crampons, self arrest, etc. He taught us how to pitch our tent and answered a million questions. It was worth the money to gain the knowledge. Consider hiring someone, even just for a day, to take you out and teach you some basic stuff.

justin -

learn everything you can from the mazamas - they are an excellent resource for nearly everything you want to do in the climbing world and you will meet others in your same situation, without a doubt.

its good that you have a background in backpacking - i started the same way, as did many, many others. don't strive to be an alpine climber, or a trad climber, or an ice climber, or a sport climber... learn all you can about everything and just be a CLIMBER. Period. do it all and enjoy every minute of it! its easy to get sucked into the gyms and the whole gym scene, but use them for what they are really good for - exercise - and get outside for the real thing. after a while pulling plastic will just not feel as satisfying, but get what you can from them.

a great guide - if you can still find it - is Oregon High by Jeff Thomas... its far better that that recockulous falcon guide about the cascade volcanoes (at least as far as hood is considered - this guide has the white river glacier labeled as the white salmon glacier, which is WRONG!).

be safe and hope to see you at beacon someday! :rocken:

justin -

learn everything you can from the mazamas - they are an excellent resource for nearly everything you want to do in the climbing world and you will meet others in your same situation, without a doubt.

its good that you have a background in backpacking - i started the same way, as did many, many others. don't strive to be an alpine climber, or a trad climber, or an ice climber, or a sport climber... learn all you can about everything and just be a CLIMBER. Period. do it all and enjoy every minute of it! its easy to get sucked into the gyms and the whole gym scene, but use them for what they are really good for - exercise - and get outside for the real thing. after a while pulling plastic will just not feel as satisfying, but get what you can from them.

a great guide - if you can still find it - is Oregon High by Jeff Thomas... its far better that that recockulous falcon guide about the cascade volcanoes (at least as far as hood is considered - this guide has the white river glacier labeled as the white salmon glacier, which is WRONG!).

be safe and hope to see you at beacon someday! :rocken:

You see me out there for sure once I know what I'm doing enough.