PNW guide

grandpa

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he likes climbing I'd recommend a book called "Summit Routes" which has Washington's top 100 peaks grouped into geographic areas for trips. If hiking, I have a good hiking book with around a thousand trails at home I can look up the name for tonight. What does the guy like? Day hiking, backpacking, climbing, or drinking beer by a lake?

edit: changed bear to beer. Better for drinking.

Edited by gyro

If he likes climbing I'd recommend a book called "Summit Routes"

He's not much interested in climbing

If hiking, I have a good hiking book with around a thousand trails at home I can look up the name for tonight.

That might interest him, he has shown a recent interest in photography (hasn't everyone with the advent of the DLSRs)

What does the guy like? ... or drinking beer by a lake?

Now ya got it!

I'd be interested in the aforementioned guide, if not for him, but for me. I'll soon be the same boat and I DO like hiking and LOVE the Cascades.

Thanks,

edit: changed bear to beer. Better for drinking.

Log onto REI's website, they have an excellent selection of travel books and guides to the PNW. Another great resource is Powell's Books in Portland, which has a huge section on PNW travel and hiking, just about everything that exists.There's more than just one book that would be suitable. Powell's would be the most likely to have books suitable for people who do 5th wheel and RV-type "camping". While REI is mostly oriented towards human- or self-powered locomotion, their travel guides in stock are nonetheless, well worth looking at for anyone who wants to see the PNW.