what age is 'too old'

mtn.climber

I climbed a lot when I was younger, but then settled down (married, kids, job, etc). I started climbing again about 8 years ago and really enjoy it. I've reached lots of summits over the years.

I've enjoyed meeting people thru this website when I hook up for climbing partners, and it's always worked out well.

I'm just starting to feel guilty at 47 years old that when I meet others, they think I might be too old to climb with them.

What do you think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you feel guilty for how someone else feels? You don't control their emotions. Unless you lie to them before meeting or can't keep up, which it doesn't sound like you're doing, why worry? I'd like to think a 25 year old who might be a slightly 'better' (and interpret that how ever you'd like-skill, speed, endurance) climber should be able draw some value of being around someone double their age, even if it isn't a specifically tangible learning that makes them a better climber. Unless you're a decrepit old man who is horrible to be around (doesn't sound like it to me)--even then a 25 year old should be able to draw some learning from observing an unhappy 'old man'.

i wouldn't sweat it personally. I'm in my 20's and would climb with someone in their 60's, assuming they are friendly and have equal or more skill than me. Most of my friends are around my age, people that are younger or older contribute a valuable, different perspective.

I don't know if Stim Bulitt ever felt too old or Fred Becky ever feels to old. Nor did/do either ever feel the need to justify climbing at their age.

Stim is a great example but he did feel his age when he did Illusion Dweller (Patagucci ad) and was honest in print about the limitations of age at that level of climbing.

Beckey has had a monstrous career but still takes a few days off in the mountains.

Getting older is about staying in the best shape you can but recognizing that it has an effect.

Bachar.

Your never to old to climb - I started in 1957, and while I'm only doing 5.7 or 5.8, I still hike a lot - On my 77th birthday, I will be doing my birthday trio which is Spensers Butte, Pisgah, and Old Baldy in a day, which is about 5,000 vertical feet of hiking in a day - Like I did early, get younger friends, as keeping up with them, will keep you young.

Im 26 and enjoy climbing with people older than me,one of my main climbing partners is 50 years old and his knowledge his what i enjoy. Im not only talking about his climbing knowlegde but i find the older the person i climb with the more calm and appt to forcast a problem. I hope you climb as long as you are able to do so safely and still enjoy it. Every one else who dosen't like it can go to hell.

I'm just starting to feel guilty at 47 years old that when I meet others, they think I might be too old to climb with them.

What do you think?

47?????? You think you're old?????? Are you kidding me?

Dude! There are loads of people on this site your age or a lot older who are still heavily involved and climb at a high level.

47????? Get over that! I used to work with a guy who was 40 years older than you who could keep up with me on mountain hikes...and I wasn't shuffling either.

You're still a pup.

And if some 20 year old doesn't want to climb with you, too bad for them; you wouldn't want to be around someone with that kind of attitude anyway and there are lots of other folks to meet and have adventures with.

Carry on.

P.S. 47?????? It's today's 32.

Your never to old to climb - I started in 1957, and while I'm only doing 5.7 or 5.8, I still hike a lot - On my 77th birthday, I will be doing my birthday trio which is Spensers Butte, Pisgah, and Old Baldy in a day, which is about 5,000 vertical feet of hiking in a day - Like I did early, get younger friends, as keeping up with them, will keep you young.

You started when I was 5 and I'm frigging 57 and been climbing for 36 years this month - dude, you're what I still aspire to - way to pull on it.

At 57, many of my younger partners still expect me to lead the "hard" pitches, and I have partners in their 70s who climb as hard as ever, though not so fast as they used to. At least two of my regular partners in their sixties climb considerably harder than I do... I remember Steve Roper publishing an article about climbing with Fritz Weissner when Weissner was in his 90s. The climbs they were doing were maybe 5.8,but put in perspective, 5.8-9 was the standard of the hardest climbs in the world when Weissner was in his prime. 25 years ago, I was climbing 5.11+ when that standard was still a big deal. Pushing 60, I can still climb to 5.11 on a good day, and I expect to be able to still do this into my eighties. My experience is that partners will pay attention to what and how you climb, rather than how old you are...

-Curt

I can do everything at 55 I used to do at 18, just not as often, or for as long.

I've had awesome luck in the last few years meeting partners at the gym (edgeworks in tacoma) but any gym will work. When the 20 year old sport monkeys see you leading at the gym, and hear you can lead trad, and are willing to take them out and show them how, you have an instant partner. I've had about 4 partners like that now.

If you do your job right, in a year they will be leading 11's due to their youth and vigor. If they get cocky and don't want to climb with you on easy 9's and 10's anymore, trade them in on a new model.

Age is a state of mind.

I climbed a lot when I was younger, but then settled down (married, kids, job, etc). I started climbing again about 8 years ago and really enjoy it. I've reached lots of summits over the years.

I've enjoyed meeting people thru this website when I hook up for climbing partners, and it's always worked out well.

What do you think?

Most of the people I climb with are in their 50's. I'm 17. I'll climb with anyone who is safe and treats me decently.

At 57, many of my younger partners still expect me to lead the "hard" pitches

You don't think we're gonna go easy on you, do ya? We can't all lead the stuff you can, that's why we're practicing! Soon though!

-Mark

Edited by rocketparrotlet

At 50 I am justifying climbing by reasoning that it is good for my kids.

My kids are young teenagers and almost on auto-pilot.

They still need a good whacking now and then so I have to stay in shape to be able to catch them.

Climbing helps a lot. Especially when there are two that need whacking at the same time. When was the last time you tried to catch two teenagers, hold them down, and inflict more pain on them than they do on you?

I find that the more I climb, the faster I catch em and the more pain they feel.

Can't wait til they both have boyfriends.......

They still need a good whacking now and then...

Especially when there are two that need whacking at the same time. When was the last time you tried to catch two teenagers, hold them down, and inflict more pain on them than they do on you?

Hey Keith, don't let kevbone hear you talking like that. :laf:

And where's Rudy? He smacks his progeny around quite a bit, too, I hear... :whistle:

You know you're too old when ur dead, stuck in a retirement community, can't poo on your own, can't walk, can't move you're arms and legs, erectile dysfunction, you've been castrated, no one knows you're alive cause' you never leave your house, hooked up to a breathing machine, paralyzed, blind and paralyzed, buried in the ground, or if you're perenially obese, you actually want to watch tv and get fat and spend money. Then no matter how many years you've been on this planet you are still considered "old". "Old" means you can't do any of the things that make you feel "alive:"

They still need a good whacking now and then...

Especially when there are two that need whacking at the same time. When was the last time you tried to catch two teenagers, hold them down, and inflict more pain on them than they do on you?

Hey Keith, don't let kevbone hear you talking like that. :laf:

And where's Rudy? He smacks his progeny around quite a bit, too, I hear... :whistle:

nuthin' wrong with a good beatin'! In fact we schedule ours so as not miss the weekly beat down...