Alpine Buddy #3!

pope

I want to nominate my long-time alpine buddy Dwayner for this week's honoree. He's not only an entertaining guy with a wealth of experience to share, but he's the kind of guy who will take care of ya when things ain't going so hot....inspite of the fact that he's an internationally recognized scholar/explorer with an extremely busy schedule.

I first gained a full appreciation of his character when a girl I was running around with dropped me like the two-foot put. I was taking the development kind of hard (not seeing her meant not seeing her incredibly hot mother!) Anyway, Dwayner invited me over for beer and hot-tubbin' with some of his scholarly friends; he assured me that talking about exploration and adventure with his cronies would take my mind off of things.

As soon as Dwayner and I cracked the first beers, he informed me that his buddies couldn't make it...it was just going to be the two of us. Not ten minutes after his announcement, the door burst open and two fine young hotties clad in two-piece swim suits jumped in the tub....Now that took my mind off of things (I had to concentrate on not allowing an uncharacteristically buoyant limb to surface).

Yup, Dwayner will take care of you. And he taught me some great gags, like the old coffee creamer exploding to simulate a ruptured glaucomous eye. And so it is with great pride that I nominate him for this week's Alpine Buddy.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwayner is everybody's buddy. You want dating advice? You got it. A hot tub experince? Call Dwayner. A history lesson? Professor Dwayner can fill you in. Moral and ethical counselling? He's right there for this, too. If you want to share his Mickeys, though, you have to find him before 9:00 a.m.

Duane Constantnino was not a Washington Rock author, though he was good buddies with David Whitelaw, who was one of the authors (Don Brooks was the other). Duane was a genuine hardcore badass, and put up some routes that have had few (at least one of them probably not even one) repeats.

• 2 years later...

A LITTLE HISTORY:

The "Alpine Buddy" concept was initiated by "Dwayner" and "pope" a couple/three years ago to give a nice and supportive high-five to various denizens in the climbing neighborhood. One early recipient was nominated for being "effortless cool".

SPEAKING OF BANNINGS....

Ironically, it seems that our own "cool buddy" was instrumental in having "Dwayner" himself banned (or at least recommended that he be put on temporary time-out rolleyes.gif) for his "manipulative" and "disruptive" behavior in which "every post" became a discussion about bolts and/or ethics. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

LOOKING BACK...

In retrospect, we made a poor decision with this whole "Alpine Buddy" thing. We dropped the concept in short order anyway because as with most well-intentioned things around here, it quickly devolved into a downward spray-spiral.