Seeking Bivy Sack Advice

calford

As for the Ti Goat, I'm on the edge of ordering this for a UL carry-over option but the idea of having to use it under a tarp is turning me off. Right now I use the waterproof Montbell cover but it lacks a hood and zipper plus something more breathable would be nice. I'm thinking of ordering some Cuben Fiber material and constructing a cover (for the top area only) that could be attached to the top of the Ti Goat bivy if the weather is threatening. I'd need to get tie-down loops sewn to the bivy to prevent rolling around when the cover is in use though. This option should only add a few ounces to my UL solution. Any opinions - better ideas?

Also, regarding the optional full net hood vs the optional netting window. I see on their site that the window option provides a loop for holding the fabric off the face. The full net hood option does as well but it's difficult to see how that works. If you are using just the netting and you have a line tied through the netting loop to keep it off your face, then it starts to rain...do you need to untie the netting loop, pull the fabric up, then retie the cord into the fabric hoop? And how is the hood fabric stored when not in use - rolled up a secured somehow?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used an early model of the Titanium Goat Bivy for several years now, mostly with a tarp. My two-person tarp, stakes, guy lines, and bivy all add up to about 22oz. Less than most of the bivies discussed on this thread, about the same cost, and much more comfortable in pretty much all weather conditions.

If you need a stand alone bivy for dealing with whatever weather on some little ledge or other situations where setting up a tarp is going to be difficult or impossible, the lightest and probably the best on the market is the Mountain Laurel Designs Alpine Bivy. 12.5oz Event top, silnylon bottom, half-circle-around your head opening like the OR bivies (as someone who has spent a lot of time using bivies by themselves, including some serious rain, this is the best design imho) and I think there is a bug option.

The Tigoat looks interesting.

I use (discontinued) water-resistant OR sack with wtrproof floor.

Enables one to dispense with ground sheet and stuff sack, adds lots of windproofing and protection for ultralight sleeping bag shell.

Invariably used with pyramid tarp shelters.

Breaths fine.

Obviously inadequate as sole protection from precipitation.

ID eVent bivys are great. I used a ID eVent Unishelter for 3 years and had no condensation issues really, just some frost buildup after a nights sleep up by the vents. It had room for boots inside. I eventually gave up bivys entirely, I am too big of a dude to get dressed in one. Got sick of standing out in the crap to put my clothes on. Since I am able to hump it no problem, I got a Hilleberg soulo, lots of luxury for another 1.5 lbs.

• 4 weeks later...