Seeking Bivy Sack Advice

calford

I am looking to buy my first bivy sack and looking for some advice. I am looking for something that I can pack reasonably on alpine climbs, but that isn't too claustrophobic and also stands a good chance of keeping me dry in a storm.

I've looked at the OR Advanced but am wondering if it's too heavy (39 oz). Anyone have advice on specs (such as weight) and/or models to look for?

Cheers,

Cameron

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rab makes a few out of the eVent fabric (im sure fellow CCers now know i love Rab). The thing i dont like about Bivys is the condensation. Stuff made out of eVent will wick it right away. I have a Mountain Hardwear Conduit SL Bivy, i wouldnt really recomend it because of the condensation that builds up.

...Sierra designs might make one out of eVent too...

Edited by RokIzGud

dont worry too much about weight when it comes to a bivy sack. a few ounces won't matter much. i first bought a bivy and made the huge mistake of trying to get a lightweight one. i havent found a single bivy that's marked as 'ultralight' that was any good.

and DO NOT buy this bivy: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Black-Diamond-Winter-Bivy-Sack/BLD0253M.html

it's a tiny bit more durable than a Glad Garbage Bag.

I have a an OR Aurora Bivy and it's excellent. This one: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor-research-aurora-bivy.shtml?source=GAN&cm_mmc=GAN-_-Google%20Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Primary-_-

It's still lightweight but very durable and packs well.

Edited by Ryan Canfield

The way you sleep should be a factor in which design you buy. I think most bivies are made for people who sleep on their back. Sleeping bags are also designed for these people. The openings for bivies are usually straight up and hoops keep the fabric off the face if laying down on the back. People who sleep on thier stomach usually have a layer of epic or goretex smack in their face and that sucks.

OR bivies are the only one that I know of that has the zipper go around the outside and that allows a stomach sleeper to open the part the you are facing. Even in the rain, you can make a little "awning" with the fabric so your breath won't build up moisture inside.

Now if they could only make a vent for the farts.

I haven't used a bivy sack since I got my betalight tarp. Weights as much as a goretex bivy, and it your trecking poles are the support. Bomber in wind and rain as long as you don't pitch it in a depression. I don't solo winter overnights, so I'm always in a 1stlight tent.

Your decision here, in my opinion, is whether you want a sac for "emergency" use, or for "camping" on the route. Most bivvy sacs today are more accurately termed "one-person-tents". They have poles, some have stakes - and they weigh as much, too. If comfort is more of an issue than weight, buy one of these. If WEIGHT and BULK are issues, go for the lightweight envelope, and deal with the unavoidable condensation. I've used mylar sacs that pack down to the size of a cliff bar, and weigh about what a cliff bar weighs too. Yes, its damp, but for a single use, the price (about $5 at Sportsmansguide.com)is right. A small nylon tarp is a good compromise, since it weighs little, and you can either roll up in it like a cocoon in really ugly conditions, or pitch it to provide more airflow in more forgiving situations. Bottom line is, you need to be honest about your priorities, because they will determine which type of bivvy shelter is RIGHT for YOU.

Edited by montypiton

For occasional use I really like the ID micro bivy in eVent. It breathes WAY better than any other W/B on the market and comes in @ a pound. For strictly emergency use, Mammut/Ajungilak makes a pretty cool internally reflective non-breathable one. If I'm gonna haul two pounds or more of bivy sack around I'd rather take my Terra Nova Laser Competition and be a whole lot comfortable for 35 ounces.

I use a OR Basic bivy. I don't think they make it anymore, or maybe they just call is the Aurora. No pole, so it lays right on your face when you have it zipped up. That kind of adds to that "sleeping in a body bag" feeling.

I have never used it in heavy rain, so I never got too much condensation in the thing, and it is pretty big so you can stash stuff in it like boots and water bottles etc.

The only real pain is that the zipper is only at the head end, so you have to shimmy into it and out.

684088Prd.jpg

I know a few guys who have the TiGoat. They all speak pretty highly of it; most use it in conjunction with an ultralight tarp. With the waterproof floor and water resistant top, it breathes great, and keeps the mist out if you've got something like a tarp to keep the bulk of the precip. off. For a stand alone bivy I think it's got fairly limited range of use, but great breathability is worth a lot sometimes...

I was looking for something in this weight range (or a little heavier) and with netting and head space that could stand alone in the rain so good to hear before I invested the money. Thanks.

OR makes an Alpine Bivy, it has a pole to provide some face space, weighs 9 oz. more than the Aurora Bivy. I wish I'd got the Alpine model. Although I have always used my Aurora with the top flap opened, the pole would be nice.

I've got an OR Alpine Bivy with one pole that I use on solo trips when I'm expecting crappy weather. I have been through some significant rain storms in it and stayed mostly dry with the old school gore-tex (mine is several years old). If I'm going light and not planning on a bivy I take a space blanket type thing. if I'm going light and solo and planning on a bivy with nicer weather I often just take a silnylon tarp (8 oz).

Most of the people I know with really light bivy sacks like the ti-goat use them with a sil tarp, it's a good light solution if you are going out for several days and want a comfier setup than a bivy alone and also avoids the inevitable condensation of a waterproof/"breathable" bivy (which isn't an issue for a night but can build up with prolonged bad weather and no drying. I wouldn't use the ti-goat as a stand alone shelter in a WA rain storm, but some folks just decide not to go out in that weather.

If your in Portland, I recommend RCT fabrics. I've purchased fabric from them (they have an interweb tube site as well; just google it). VERY friendly a happy to help you make your own. The last waterproof breathable fabric I picked up was $23 a yard. They also sell the silk-weight stuff you need for a bag liner.

If you buying a simple one, I like the Mountain Hardwear basic cordura one - cheap, no frills, but works.