Denali 2011

needtoclimb

As stated above, I would like to climb Denali in 2011, so am looking for partners. Let me expand on that before I get 50 replies stating "I want to go."

I am looking for experienced, prepared partners to be part of an equal group. Each person must be experienced. Each person must assist the team, and assist in the planning. THIS IS NOT A GUIDED CLIMB! We, the people in the group, are the guides.

Time to start training and doing climbs together to solidify the group, and make sure everyone has necessary skills. I would like to do a ski ascent of Helens and Adams this spring, do Baker and Rainier, and a winter ascent/attempt of Hood/Rainier.

If you are interested, shoot me a pm. I will reply to your pm, asking for your name, phone number and e-mail. I will make a up a list, and after about a week or so compile all that info into one e-mail and send it to everyone on the list and then we can start geting together for training hikes, etc.

Want to do Denali? Give me a shout.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please no spray. I am looking to put a team together, not listen to people who simply feel the need to type useless blather.

The route would be the NW Buttress. I have never been on Denali, so this would be the best start.

Have had a couple of replies. Still looking for more. I know there are more people out there that want to climb, cause every year I see 4-5 postings looking for partners. Most of them fizzle out 'cause everyone else wants someone else to do the planning. I am very good at logistics planning and will be doing most of that. Just need competent folks to join me, and make a fun team.

Ok guys, I'll bite, once. Genespires and I chatted over PM, and we are cool with each other, and I will state why I stated this to Genespires: "Please no spray. I am looking to put a team together, not listen to people who simply feel the need to type useless blather," and why I apparently sound like a dickbag in my first post.

First, I made my first post to get people who were seriously interested in going. Too many times I see "wanted, Denali/Rainier/Baker, etc partners" and what this really means is "wanted, a pre-formed group I can join." I am sure all of you have seen this, where a poster is simply looking to jump on a team that is already formed and everything is planned out, so the person only needs to show up. I wanted to make it absolutely clear that the team needs to be formed. It is not "Me and three buddies looking for a fourth." It is "Me, looking for like-minded individuals for above stated adventure." (That came of sounding like a Craiglist personal ad, but you get the idea.)

On the same train of thought, I wanted PM's from people who have a fair shot of being able to go. Able to afford the trip, the gear and take the time off from work. That is partially why I am looking for people so early, and not next January, so people will have over a year to save up money and vacation time. I am already signing up for overtime at work so I can afford it.

I have learned from experience that less than half the people who initially say they want to go make it on the actual trip. Life happens. People lose jobs, get sick, have babies, etc. That is why I am looking for many climbers, because by next year 20 climbers will be down to 5. That is just the facts.

Also, I am sure everyone has seen the "I have just taken a two day class and hiked SI, so I am ready to jump on a Rainier team." Again, I wanted to avoid a spam of PM's or replies of people who do not have the experience. I am surprised though that no one said, "hey, I don't have much experience, but would love to get on those training trips up Baker, etc." I would include anyone who said that to join the chain e-mail, and let the group work itself out. I am by no means trying to be the dictator, but just the facilitator to actually get stuff moving.

I didn't want this post to become pages of spray. It happens a lot on this site where a person asks a question, and within days there are 5 pages of spam with only one or two relevant posts. Anyone who sees "Denali 2011" with five pages opens it up, only to see 5 pages of spam and concludes that trip was either a joke, or not going, etc and doesn't bother getting involved.

One more point. Denali at anytime is not a walk-up, unless you are Vestiers or a Lowe's brother. For us mere mortals who this is a once or twice in a lifetime trip, it takes training and planning. It is serious. What would you have said if my original post said:

"Yo dudes! I want to climb Denali sometime. LIke, give me a shout and let's go do it. Just a couple of weeks on a walk up route, no big. I got some boots and an axe, so let's go."

If you have any question whatsoever what would have happened if I stated that, search "Josh Lewis" and look at the 15 pages of responses for his questions. To show that I was serious, I have to write serious. (sorry Josh, but your posts are a perfect example how questions turn into pages and pages of spray.)

I do appreciate the last three responses so I was able to clarify myself. My first post was short and brief for exactly that reason, to be short and brief. To grab interest, which apparently it did.

And please let me clarify "fun." Anyone who thought when I said "fun" I was replying to a barrel of laughs being carreid by a clown and a rodio monkey misunderstood me. It will be freakin hard and cold, where half the time you wished you were at home, and the other half you wouldn't want to be anywhere else but on the mountain. Cold, heat, sweat, screaming muscles, endless training, is "fun" to mountaineers. Its what we like, and why we do what we do.

Now, for the last bit. Major, Bug and Trainwreck, any of you intersted? If so, drop me a PM. I will get the e-mail list out to everyone who PM'd me tomorrow (depending on how busy work is.)

Edited by needtoclimb

Sounds good but I am booked for the year.

My Denali adventure with internet climbers taught me a lot.

1. One winter trip up Rainier to meet and greet is not enough.

2. If someone "Really wants to be the leader", don't let him. In fact, kick him off the team.

3. Take skiis even if everyone else on your team doesn't.

4. List camp duties and assign them on a rotating schedule.

5. Don't put a team together on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I recently made a post looking for a Partner to climb Rainier. I clearly stated that I had the plans and my partner stuck me. Who are you to say that posts made looking for a partner are just people looking to "trail along".

If this is not a guided climb and you are looking to make up a "team", then who are you to pick the route? Shouldn't that be a "team" decision?

• 1 month later...

A few people have dropped, a few have joined. Looking for more who may be interested in Denali next year. A couple of us are planning on doing Adams Glacier route on Mt Adams on May 21-23. Also, the north ridge of Baker June 12th. Send me a pm if interested in getting in on these climbs for a future ascent of Denali.

• 1 month later...