Good Habbits for a Long Career

pope

I used to climb at the crags in the same manner I would on a long mountain route: the faster the better. Going fast meant running it out; it also meant doing routine things (like putting on a harness or rigging a belay) perfunctorily, almost thoughtlessly.

Things have changed. I've developed a few habbits that, while they might require a little extra time, might just guarantee another 18 years of climbing. Here are a few....please add to the list if you wish (or just tell me I'm old and paranoid).

Put your chalk bag on a 1-inch webbing belt, tied with a reasonably secure knot (like a bowline, which is also easily adjusted). Then, when you tie into your harness, also tie through the chalk bag strap. Could save your butt if you forget to double back through your harness buckle (as some excellent climbers have).

When you run it out on easy ground twenty feet and are then faced with difficult moves, get a really, really, really bomber piece. Better yet, place a couple of pieces. Think about the consequences of placing just one piece that fails when you fall....

Always tie to the end of the rope when you rap from more than one pitch up. Again, excellent climbers have "abseiled" right off the end of their rope.

Always extend cam placements with a long quick draw or better. You can't rely on the most carefully placed cams if they're going to wiggle and walk around as a result of rope drag.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by trask:
Right. Isn't that like the female voice in a fighter jock's cockpit (Yappin' Betty, or something) that hollers, "No Bingo, or pull up-pull up?"

Uh...yeah...

(Actually, it's more like my 3 year old son asking "Daddy, do you want to pway wif me?")

quote:

Originally posted by trask:
Like Dru says, wear wool knickers to help hold ya to the snow and ice. Plus the betties think they're cute.

I wish I said that but it was Pope. I dont wear knickers, I just have girls throw them at me when I'm up on stage doing my Julio Iglesias imitations. You will see them at the Ice Fest this weekend! wink.gif" border="0

Keep it fun. The more you get hung up on numbers, spraying, your identity as a climber, etc. etc., the more your attitude will get worn out, and you will become another bitter ex-climber bowler.

Physically - protect your joints through hydration, stretching, good diet, and proper rest and rehab (if injured).

Take the time to really *understand* how your partner's harness works, and make sure they do the same with you. Visually trace the web all the way through each piece of the buckle. Then do it again.

When you're done in and ready to turn back, take a break, if you can spare the time. Get some water and calories in you. Re-examine your options and you might find an edge that you missed, one that will get you to the top. If not, use the rest of the time to get your headspace right for the descent.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: jeffers ]