Redpoint Climbers Supply of Smith Rock Robbed

RedpointSupply

Hey everyone,

I'm letting everyone know this, just in case someone runs into someone that's selling gear that just doesn't sound right.

Last night my shop was broken into, and everything was taken and I really do mean everything. I haven't done an actually inventory yet. But ballpark, 50 draws, 100 carabiners, 14 ropes, 4 sets of cams, 5 sets of nuts, 10 down jackets, etc etc etc etc. So please, please, keep an eye out for anything suspicious if you're buying something second hand from someone. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to fathom someone doing that, Eric. So sorry, and I hope you are able to recover financially from the loss. Can't imagine how upsetting the whole thing would be for you.

Please post a list of what you actually lost here, and that would likely help those that might be considering the purchase of some used "new" gear.

IF someone were to find some used gear of question, can you suggest who we might call?

Maybe worth posting this news on some other boards, as well?

Really sad news, Eric.

***Let's keep bumping up this tread for awhile, so the word gets out fast.

A bump, and also some more information.

If anyone finds out anything here is some contact information. You can either call me, 541-923-6207. Or the best bet is the local sheriff's office. Their phone number is 541-693-6911. The Sheriff in charge of the case is Gary Cima, but you can talk to anyone else there as well.

I'm working on the inventory right now, and will have a pretty long list of items stolen, so you know what to be on the look out for. Thanks for all the support.

Eric

Alright, here's the list..... it's a doozy

Metolius

Supercam Small and Medium

Master Cams 00, 0, 6, 7

Master Cams Offsets 00-7

Ultralight TCUs 00-4

Power Cams 00-8

Astro Nuts x 2

Ultralight nuts 10x 2, 9, 8, 7, 5, 4, 3, 1

BRD x 4

Freenut x 3

Extractor x 4

Enviro Rap Hanger x 6

8 step Aider

4 step Aider x 2

5 step aider x 2

Gear slings x 2

Double D Gear slings x 2

Simulator

Grip saver plus

Big Wall Pants x 4

Big Wall Shorts x 4

Dyno Pant x 4

Dyno Shorts x 4

Nylon Daisy x 3

Monster Daisy x 2

Easy Daisy x 2

Superchalk half pound x 4

Superchalk quarter pound x 6

Tape x 6

Monster Slings 22” x 6

Monster Slings 46” x 6

BD

C3s 000-2

C4s 3, 4x2, 5, 6

N-Force x 3

Firewire QD x 3

Hotwire QD x 2

Micro nuts x 2

Stoppers 1x 4, 2 x 2, 3-6, 9-13

Wired Hexes 1-11

Yosemite Hammer

ATC-Guide x 5

ATC XP x 4

ATC x 2

Super 8 x 3

Neutrino x 2

Oz

Livewire x 6

Dynotron x 4

Positron Straight x 10

Positron Bent x 10

Quicksilver Straight x 10

Quicksilver Bent x 4

Ovalwire x 5

Oval x 4

Light D x 4

Vaporlock x 6

Mini Pear x 6

Rock lock x 6

Rocklock Twist lock x 6

Livewire QD x 12

Freewire QD x 3

OZ QD x 12

Quickwire QD 18 cm x 12

Quickwire QD 12 cm x 12

Quicksilver QD 18 cm x 12

Quicksilver QD 12 cm x 12

Fifi x 2

RURP x 2

Cliffhanger

Pulley

Variwidth x 6

Raven Ice axe x 6

Tracer

Kids Tracer

Sabretooth Left Foot

Contact Right Foot

5 step aider x 2

6 step aider x 2

Padded Gear Sling

Forearm Trainger

Firstlight

Hilight

Skylight

Dynex Daisy Chain 115cm x 3

Dynex Daisy Chain 140cm x 3

Nylon Daisy Chain 115 x 3

Nylon Daisy Chain 140 x 3

Nylon Sling 30cm x 10

Nylon Sling 60cm x 3

Dynex Sling 30cm x 10

Dynex Sling 60cm x 6

Dynex Sling 120cm x 6

Petzl

Ascension x 5

Shunt

Croll x 3

Basics x 3

Pro-traxion

Mini Traxion x 2

Oscillante x 2

Pantin

Rescue Pulley

Ultralegre

Mini

Spirit Straights x 5

Locker SL x 5

William SG x 8

William Ball Lock x 10

William Triact Lock x 12

AMD SG x 5

AMD Ball Lock x 5

AMD Triact lock x 12

Freino x 5

OK Screwlock x 3

Attache x 3

Attache Hera x 3

Spirit Express 17cm x 10

Paw Small

Paw Medium

Microcender

Rescuecender

Coeur Coujon x 6

Tibloc x 3

Express 25 cm x 5

Nitro 1 x 3

Nitro 3 x 3

Snowalker

Altios

Elios x 2

Meteor III

Vasak Sidelock Right Foot

Cordex Gloves tan x 5

Cordex Gloves Black x 5

Cordex plus Gloves Tan x 5

Zephyr 70m

Nomad 60m

Nomad 70m

DMM

Bugette

Zodiac 12mm QL x 2

Phantom QD 12cm x 12

Wallnuts 11x 2, 10, 9, 7, 3, 2, 1

Aluminum Offsets 7, 9, 11

Phantom x 4

Steel Bent Gate

Shadow QD 18cm x 4

Shadow QD 12cm x 4

Dogbones 12cm x 4 18cm x 10 25 cm x 10

Wild country

Superlight Rocks 1-6 x 2

Peanuts x 2

Rocks 1-8, 12-14

Variable Controller

Ropeman 1

Ropeman 2

Yates

Pinhead

Double Copperheads x 2

Pika

Z-pitons x 3

Trango

Cinch

Shark x 2

Squid

MSR

Hubba Hubba x 2

Mutha Hubba

Whisperlites x 2

Whisperlites International x 2

Reactor Dragoonfly

Thermarest

Trail Pro x 2

Trail Pro W’s

Mountain Hardwear

Subzero Jackets Mens x 5

Paladin Pack x 2

Splitter Packs x 2

Dynaflex ball x 4

Dynaflex plus

Superclips x 4

Frisbees x 2

Gear Marking tape x 4

DVDs x 16

Edelweiss

Onsight 60, 70, 60 arc, 70 arc

Ally 60m

Element 60, 70, 70 arc

Flashlight 60, 70, 60 arc, 70 arc

Red Chili Sunglasses x 36 $18 sunglasses, really?

Cliff bars x 14 boxes

Yes they stole cliff bars, frisbees, gear marking tape, climbing tape and chalk

Unbelievable..especially with the shop being so close to the highway! They must have had something like a u-haul, and the time it took...someone must of seen something!? Really sorry, I've stopped in your shop a few times for odds and ends. Good luck and like Monty and others will keep an eye out on Craigs and Ebay.

I am sorry for your loss of $$ and energy. Intrusion is a hard thing to recover from. I am glad you are safe and no one was hurt.

I recommend you let all climbing shops and gyms know. Had a friend get used demo shoes ripped from his car. The thiefs tried to sell to PRG. They caught them because PRG knew of the robbery and helped set up a trap.

Hopefully there is a way to find those that did this. Even if they do not - I am a firm believer in karma.

Sorry to hear it. I always try to support your shop when I pass thru, even if its just a biner purchase or drink or chalk. One request, when you go to re-stock the ropes, maybe carry a selection of the bi-color 60 or 70 meter, like the duodess or similar. I lve these ropes where the color or pattern changes in the middle of the rope versus having a middle marker, and its all I use anymore.

Bump and semi update.

Bad news first. Insurance will not cover theft. Turns out I only had liability insurance. I thought insurance was like car insurance, all aspects are covered, just depends how much coverage and how big your deductible is. Biggest mistake of my life, ever.

Other fact, not sure if this is good or bad. Alarm went off, but Sheriff's station was never notified about the alarm. Either when I switched phone companies they messed with the line, or the people I use to monitor the alarm messed up. I pay a place in Redmond for the alarm, and they sub-contract it out to a bigger place in Portland to monitor. I don't know if anyone is a lawyer, but if anyone is at fault, would it be the right move to sue? I don't want to be that "guy" who sues....

Some Good news, the restaurant across the street has a camera that faces the parking lot and pretty much the door they broke in through. So once the police get the footage they should have a good lead. They'll have how many people, the make and model of the vehicle and a license plate. So thieves if you're reading this, just hand back the stuff, all will be forgiven and we'll just forget about this.

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Eric

p.s. this has been posted on rockclimbing.com, mountain project, super topo, smith rock.com and cascade climbers. If anyone wants to cross post this to any other sites, i don't mind, just couldn't think of any others that get as much traffic.

Edited by RedpointSupply

Eric,

Can't tell you how sorry about this. I suggest you contact the Oregon Insurance Commissioner and get their take on your insurance situation. They will investigate it on your behalf. It seems very strange that someone would sell you insurance that wouldn't cover robbery unless you specifically asked not to have it.

Matt Perkins (MattP) is a lawyer. Dunno if he handles stuff like that, but he'd have connections at least. If someone screwed up, they should be held accountable for their part by charging you money. I'd also follow Jon's suggestion.

Hopefully word spreads at the OR show this week. I couldn't imagine all the major companies not sending you enough free gear to remain in business. Smith Rock needs a climbing shop and you obviously place more than just a shops worth of orders per year - so it would be in their best interest to re-stock you. Let me know when you are refilling your bookshelves and I'll pony up.

You need to ask for theft insurance, as the bare basic is liability which is standard in my experience. Anything more you got to request it.

I think however if you pay for an alarm service and the alarm went off and the sheriff was not notified, then you have a case. UNLESS, your phone line was cut or your phone out of order. In your best interests, I would have a independent party(like a comunications company) investigate if phone was in working order and find out ASAP where the ball was dropped. If the alarm went to the monitoring company and they somehow did not notify the police, they are responsible for your loss as you have a contractural agreement with them. If you phone was out of order due to the phone company, then seems like they are responsible

Hmmmm...

All of the sudden some guy in Ridgefield is sellng a bunch of "brand new" gear on craigslist...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/1557677245.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/1557710018.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/1557720626.html

Does any of this stuff look like your shops stuff?

Especially the post about the cams. The guys is selling 4 whole sets of cams brand new.

Maybe I am just leary...

Edited by Frikadeller