Osprey Mutant Pack

spotly

I picked up this pack early last year from a local store that won't take gear back just because of poor design. It's a bit small but with some creative packing I managed to get climbing and overnight gear into it (just a light bivy - nothing heavy). I went with this pack because of the profile and because I like my other Ospreys - especially the feature that lets me tighten the waist belt by pulling forward and the comfort. Overall the pack isn't living up to my expectactions though - it has absolutely no back support and tends to fold over on itself, putting all of the weight onto the shoulders. The side pockets are so shallow as to be useless. I can get taller pockets sewn on but not sure how to stiffen the danged thing up without adding a ton of weight. Any suggestions? Getting another pack is an options but with other gear on this years wish list, yet another pack might not go over too well with the boss so I'd be limited to something that I could sneak by unnoticed by the budget police :)

Edited by spotly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast. The Mutant is an ultra-light minimalist pack with no frame, and comfort and capacity are the cost of such light weight.

It sounds like you really wanted a Variant 37 - a few more features, some aluminum in the frame to keep it stiff, and of course a few more ounces of weight. I have a Variant 52 and it borders on perfection.

By the way, the side pockets are not for storage - they are for holding the bottom of pickets and wands which are held in place by the compression straps.

• 2 months later...

One of my friends swears by the Variant 52 so I imagine both it and the 37 are top-quality gear. I picked up a Mammut Ice 45 on closeout from REI and love it. It feels lighter than a typical "45" and has all the attention to detail I usually expect from Mammut.

Hey guys. I've heard nothing but positive about the Variant. I'm leaning toward the 52, but, and I know this is a bit of a dumb query, but, should I consider the 37 for any reason? That being more of just a day pack? Already have the Osprey Atmos 50, but I think the Variant would be better for climbing, carrying skis, and just better all-around.

Thanks.

Edited by dhrmabum

got the mutant, actually like it alot except for no crampon pocket

the frame can be an issue if you dont pack it right

easy solution ... i got an thin piece of balsa wood and stuffed it between the bivy pad ... it solved any frame issues when im carrying heavier loads ... it also acts as emergency tinder in a survival situation

got the mutant, actually like it alot except for no crampon pocket

the frame can be an issue if you dont pack it right

easy solution ... i got an thin piece of balsa wood and stuffed it between the bivy pad ... it solved any frame issues when im carrying heavier loads ... it also acts as emergency tinder in a survival situation

Hey, I kinda like that idea! I'd think it would shred fairly quckly though?

i sanded the edges of the balsa wood down and wrapped the sides in tape ... just ads to the flamability .... lol

its stored within the bivy pad ... if yr worried u can just tape the wood to the pad and it shouldnt tear through anything ...

course osprey does have a no questions asked lifetime warranty

it allows me to carry a double rack, 10mm 60 m rope, water, belay jacket, helmet, etc ... with minimal frame distortion ... basically 30 lbs+

you can also use the cheap light wooden sidings from the 80s if you have any left ... the stuff they put on doors and walls ... lol

let me know if you need anything else

agreed...i have the 50

light, good features, carries heavy loads fanstastic and is comfy

but everytime i look up and my helmet hits the back of the frame sticking up killing my field of view...i want to burn the fawking thing...other than that its great :D