Take the bus 'cause I don't have a car

rocketparrotlet

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the train from Edmunds (it stops in Everett)to Wenatchee to meet up with my brother to go climbing. I dont recall a stop in Index but i might. Be careful of dudes that will hit on you. It was like 45 bucks round trip.

...If its during the weekend im sure theres a few people from cc.com going. Post in partners and say you want to ride share and are willing to help with gas.

Edited by RokIzGud

I looked into it myself and it said $15.00! Is that one way or round trip!? I hit the round trip button, before I knew of a bus that goes from Sultan to Stevens Pass for 10$ round trip, but if it is 15 round trip from Everett to Leavenworth, that would be amazing, but perhaps it means one way?

Hitchhiker%27s_gesture.jpg

I've hitched to Yosemite twice. Sometimes it screws your plans up. Smitty and I were going to hitchhike up to do the Picket Traverse. Sat by the side of the freeway working on our tan lines with not a ride in sight. All day, no one.

My older brother would just ride his bike. Several times he did the 260 miles to Lagrande with a beater bike because he disliked the bus.

speaking from experience on a long-distance hiking trail and tons of hitching, if you got a lady with you, you can just about guarantee getting a hitch anywhere (as a grizzled, bearded guy, it helps to crouch or be off to the side though when they stop to talk to her). that hand in the above picture sure looks like a gals, I wouldn't imagine she spent too much time with her thumb out.

I'm not going to hitchhike. That is unpredictable and kinda scary.

I get the impression that the people hitching these days are a little more desperate, the average drivers more leery, and those looking to prey on the desperate a greater percentage of those picking people up.

Even if that were so, its still possible to hitch pretty safely, just pay attention to instincts and the impression you get from your ride: chat them up a little before you commit to getting in the car.

Tips for hitching -

> Have a legible sign about your destination - people need to know where you're going, and it needs to be easily readable.

> Pick your hitching site, people need to have a little time to assess you, and have a safe place to pull over

> Smile. Looking miserable and hoping to rely on pity for a ride is a terrible strategy, best to look upbeat and like you have something positive to add to the social interaction

> Looking goofy is better than looking cool, you're asking people to trust you in their personal space. A friend one hitched from Olympia to New Jersey in the winter, dressed as Santa, with a piece of foam cut in the profile of a penguin, and a sign that said "Ho Ho Home For Christmas" and he made it across country in about the same amount of time as you could drive it.

Hitching used to be a relatively common travel method for lots of ordinary folks.

man, i've had some pretty good adventures hitching and riding the rails around the coastal states. wouldn't trade those memories for anything. hopping the rails is i think way safer than hitching, but you don't have that option cuz the train just keeps on chuggin' through index (i know; i've rode a grain car from everett through the loooong ass tunnel under stevens pass to wenatchee. no stops along the way).

i have no idea how safe hitching is nowadays. i'd have to imagine it ain't much different than it used to be. i do see people hitching along hiway 2 all the time, so i'd imagine it's a pretty regular form of travel for some of the locals.

I did a solo climbing trip to the Canadian Rockies in the mid 80s. I took the train to Lake Louise then hitched up to the campground near the Athabasca glacier. After a day or two I managed to find a climbing partner with a van. We did a few climbs over a couple weeks, and he gave me a ride back to Lake Louise so I could catch the train back to Vancouver.

I believe passenger rail doesn't travel Vancouver to Calgary any more. Only Vancouver Edmonton.